Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble
I am having alot of trouble with fishing with streamers i need some help can any one give me some hints? I am looking to start fishing streamers alot more so i was wondering what i am doing wrong i am getting no hits when i try it!
[signature]
First need a little bit more info I should ask are you fishing them on a river or still water ?

There a few different techniques but Ive had success on stream with casting them diagonally up stream and swing them across a deep hole then slow jerk retrieves back in.

What streamers are you using ?
Ive has some good success fishing articulated streamers like Kelly Gallops Sex Dungeon and Zoo Cougars. Dont forget the Double Bunny...

A good book to check out is
Modern Streamers For Trophy Trout
[url "http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks:1&tbo=p&q=+inauthor:%22Bob+Linsenman%22"]
[/url][url "http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks:1&tbo=p&q=+inauthor:%22Kelly+Galloup%22"][/url]
[signature]
are we talking fly patterns here, or some kind of code for "streamers"

LOL
[signature]
Um i am fishing the weber alot with them that is where is struggle in lakes i am good with streamers. but i struggle in rivers. right now i am in alaska fishing streamers up here and i dont get any strikes or i dont know what a strike is when fishing them! and i tie all those flies are i like the sex dungeon the most!
[signature]
Pookiebar- google sex dungeon and see the fun.... Just kidding dont google it you'll get allot crazy sites LOL

The Sex Dungeon & Zoo Cougar are streamers created by Kelly Galloup there awesome streamers google Kelly Galloup

Xmlfish-
Were in Alaska are you ? I dont have allot of experience in Alaska but I have fish both those streamers up and down the weber Ive had better success near Croyden & Taggart than Wanship and Coalville. Ive even caught a sculpin in Taggart so I know they are a source of food for those big browns there.

Maybe someone will chime in about Alaska...

[Image: IMG00012-20091025-1227.jpg]

[Image: IMG00011-20091025-1227.jpg]

[Image: IMG00013-20091025-1228.jpg]
[signature]
Get a guide...even for a half day wade trip. You will be proficient in 2 hours! Seriously.
[signature]
I second the half day guide trip idea.

Or try Deeper and Bigger, then try deeper and smaller. If you know you're in front of the fish work your colors.

Try black then white then olive then yellow then tan. Even caught on chartruse on rivers. Or any order of the above colors. Many, many times after changing colors it was fish after fish.

I fish one color ten casts top. I change colors and keep moving down stream. Once I find a color that works I go back upstream aways and throw that color to those fish that refused the previous offerings.
[signature]
I think i will look into a guide up here! what do you look for when fishing stremers in utah like deep holes or something different?
[signature]
I throw streamers everywhere.

I start as soon as I can get my line in the water. Sometimes even before I get in the water.

Just throw/cast to the far bank and strip it back towards you as the current pulls it downstream. In deeper holes I throw it further upstream and let it sink before giving it life and stripping it back. I also use a sinking line most of the time when throwing streamers.
[signature]
In Utah try deep holes on the opposite bank as described. In Alaska if fishing for salmon you want deeper holes away from the bank typically. If wading upstream just cast upstream past the hole and let it drift back through the hole. Let the current bring it down and retrieve enough line to keep it fairly tight. All streamers work well but in Alaska egg sucking leech patterns are very effective on kings, silvers and sockeye. Hooking them is usually the easy part, landing them is what can be challenging.
[signature]
Where are you at in Alaska?

Depending on where you are in the state, there may not be too many salmon in the rivers just yet.

There should be pink salmon, not good to eat once in the rivers, but fun to catch just about everywhere by now. For them try anything with a purple body. I will often use a pink or chartreuse colored bead head on a purple maribou leech pattern. You may need to get a little bit deeper as well, so tie an overhand knot about 12 inches above the fly and put on a couple of bb size split shot above the knot. Just dead drift the fly through any riffle, or deeper hole and you should knock the stinky pinks dead!!

Depending on if there is a lake at the head of the stream there might also be sockeye/red salmon in the rivers as well. For them you do not want an overly agressive colored fly. Try a yellow bodied muddler, ( see the link ) [url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=083T&dir_id=1236&group_id=1260&cat_id=5451&subcat_id=6517"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=083T&dir_id=1236&group_id=1260&cat_id=5451&subcat_id=6517[/url]
or similiar pattern. For sockeye you will want to fish the head portion of where a riffle dumps into a deeper hole. Cast down and across stream, then hold your rod at a 45 degree angle to the current, this will cross swing the fly right past the fishes line of sight. They HATE that, do it as many as a dozen times in the same area before you move down stream a few steps to start the process again. Work the whole run very well as you do this. Sockeye are notorious for not being agressive on the chase, but holy $H!T hold on when they grab the fly, they are hands down the hardest fighting salmon pound for pound.

Now Silver salmon, should have a few in the river at this time. There are a couple of different techniques. One is the same as what I just told you for the Sockey, BUT use extremely bright flies as Silvers are officialy the psycho paths of the salmon world. Also with this, try tying a smaller pattern 12-16 inches below your bright streamer. An egg pattern on a heavy hook is good, or a chartreuse or bright colored stone fly (again see the link). [url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=973B&dir_id=1236&group_id=1264&cat_id=5487&subcat_id=6637"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=973B&dir_id=1236&group_id=1264&cat_id=5487&subcat_id=6637[/url]

Or if you have neither of those try a Green Butted Skunk, they are in every fly shop up there, as the trailing fly. Not sure why the silvers will grab the small fly sometimes but that is just the way it goes.

The second way to fish for silvers is to get a sinking line on your reel. Cast a bright colored streamer straight down stream, let it sink as deep as it will go, for the count of say 5 to 10 depending on the depth of the hole, then strip the fly agressively straight up the middle of the hole. Trust me you will know when a silver grabs that one!!

If you have any further questions, PM me and I will give you my cell number. I was a guide in AK for 5 years, and caught lotsof salmon up there!!

Oh yeah don't forget the dolly varden! Fish for them the same way you do the sockeye, but put a very muted fly on as a trailing fly like for the silvers, more of a traditional trout fly, like big hares ears, brassies, etc. and you should knock the dolly varden dead. They will grab both the streamer and the nymph pattern.

Good luck!!
[signature]
I am like five miles out of Soldotna! but thanks for the info! that helps alot! i like to catch dollies but i am looking of other ways to catch them! besides the bead! i also want to try to catch a rainbow on a mouse pattern but i dont know where to try it! but i am going to try everything you told me thanks!
[signature]
The Kasilof has a good run of sockeye and kings right now and would be the place to be. Have you tried Deep Creek and Ninilchik for Dollies? I think the Anchor River is supposed to be good for Dollies as well but I've yet to fish it. You might try sending tmas a pm as he's guiding in the area now. I'm heading up in a couple weeks so save a few for me. Enjoy your time up there.
[signature]