Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TUG-A-WAR WITH A TURTLE
During summer I used to love going to work with my dad. One day during summer I was helping my dad repair his work truck on the lot. I was only ten or so at the time, so really was not helping to much in stead more like a pain my dads neck. So I decided to go fishing at the ponds that were right behind the lot. These ponds where sand pits from and old gravel company that owned the land before my dads company did. The old sand pits had Blue gills, Prech, Crappie, Crap and chuck full of Largemouth Bass. I had fished these ponds before and always caught something. But on this warm afternoon to my surpise I caught the biggest Crappie I even seen it had to be 15in or so, or at least thats what i thought when I was 10. Before that day the largest Crappie I caught was 6 in or so. So this fish was huge compared to the others. So after reeling in this monster I put him on my stringer and went back to fishing. Sence these where small ponds I would walk around them and cast out every couple of feet or so. After going around the pond I cam back to my stringer and was looking down at the huge crappie I had caught. I could not see him, so I pulled on the stringer to bring him up out of the water. I pulled and then the stringer pulled back, this is strange I thought to myself I am playing tug-a-war when I pull the stringer it pulls right back. I said to myself it has to be that the fish swam under a rock and just doesnot want to be taken out of the water. Finally I pulled harder and the stringer came lose. The stringer came flying out of the water, the only thing left of that huge Crappie was it's head. I looked down into the water and a turtle was laying there with the rest of the Crappie in his mouth. The trutle was eating my prize fish and the only thing i had to show was the Crappie head. So i learned if you are going to keep a fish the only way to do this is to have a live well well away from the water. Do not use a stringer! I will never forget that day going to work with my Dad. <br><br>by Ron : Friday 3 November, 20<br><br><br>Submit your Fishing Adventure Stories to win great prizes at ReMemory.Com
a 20Lb. turrtle ate my bait.<br><br>
Sounds like a big dinner and leftovers to boot. Nice catch!<br><br>Texas gulf cost fisher.
You know, you have got a good one there I received a similar experience some twenty-five years ago when I first moved to commerce lake.<br><br>Fishing until after dark with a steal clip stringer I found that I could get five fish on a clip. When I decided to call it a day I pulled up my stringer and found ten fish thirty heads and bare clips that would have held another 50 fish.<br><br>Looking in to the water next to my boat I saw the head of the biggest snapper turtle I had ever seen in my life, big as a muskmelon it was.<br><br>It turned away from me and went down, but not before showing me his backside. His shell was bigger around than a fifty-five gallon drum.<br><br>I opened my clips and gave him the rest of my catch. That was one hungry turtle. <br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
While fishing in Canada a few years back, we had tied the stringer to the dock, when we came back down, it was all gone but the heads ! We look over on a rock near by and there sat a snapper soaking up the sun, just like I do after a good lunch !!<br><br>