Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heaver surf reel
i was going to be building an 8ft 60-80lb rod to heave out full menhaden for stripers,

any sugestions on a good inexpensive reel, i was looking at either a squidder 140 or

maybe an 3/0 senator, needs to have a clamps as the rod will have no reel seat any

opinions are appreciated, and btw, i know the senators aren't made to be a surf reel,

but i am hoping for around 300yds or 30 line

thanks, good luck fishing
[signature]
Inexpensive and good quality aren't usually what you'll find working hand in hand, atleast not in regards to fishing equipment. You're going to want something that's high speed, castable, and has an excellent drag. Avet makes a fine reel and they aren't terribly expensive. If you're really got to scrape the bottom of the barrel on price, the squidder would probably work. You can also go on Ebay and try to find a used Penn 990 mag. They are a fine reel. I've got one and I wish I had two more just like it.
[signature]
thanks, i think ill go with the 990, either that or tica is having a sale on a reel for 100- all aluminum holds 30/300yds http://www.ticaamerica.com/product_detai...1&catid=56
[signature]