Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
san diego yellows
the yellowtail are popping their head up down in the san diego area... and are being caught!

most overnighters are doing really good on them

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

It's fantastic! As I mentioned on the board, day before yesterday, at least 5 sporties making reports from San Diego landings had counts of over a hundred yellows a boat. Not landing.... Boat! The guys have been saying there are a lot of real rats (3 to 6 pound fish) that pretty much get in the way around the paddies but I wish I had that problem. I caught a firecracker (5 to 10 pound fish) at Catalina two weeks ago so I got my early bird!!!

One boat boasted dorado (mahi mahi), yellows, albies, BFT, and a mako shark. What's next?

Do you think it's going to bust open at San Clemente first or is your money on Catalina as far as us up here South Bay land?

JapanRon
[signature]
I dont know man....there are SO many yellows at catalina right now....they just aren't biting..and the guys that go to clemente aren't really catching too many. so I dont know.

joe
[signature]
hey joe do you think that the yellows will start bitting in catlina? I hope so!!!!!! i mean i did almost hook on to one the last time i went or woodrum (i think i spelt it right) was just pulling my leg.

RAUL
[signature]
hope ya can reel in a pic for us, [cool]

by the way congrats on your new fish Icon, I see ya turned in to a walleye [cool]
[signature]
oh wow! i didnt notice! i have been here for 4 months and already have 500 posts!!! GEEZ! i need to get a life! hahah

joe
[signature]

Hey DH_tubinjoe,

I liked being a barracuda but the next thing you know you're a big mouth. I liked being a scooter with those snappy, sharp teeth, and wide strong tail for fast spurts and..... having those predator eyes. Do fish say Grrrrrrr?

JapanRon
[signature]
now you are a..... uh...... I can't even tell what you are.... it think it said that you are a WSB but it doesn't look like that at all! I liked my calico bass, because the people on the boat call me CALICO-Joe. so it kind of fit me. haha oh well.... whats with this walleye thing?!?! I dont want to have anything to do with walleyes. oh well....thats life[Wink]

joe
[signature]
I have already gotten my 2 yellows this year, one in March and one in July. A 26lbr and an 18lbr, Im hoping that the area of fish on the backside of clemente decide to come into the channel to give us a chance to slay them. Good signs at the island of Yellows and bonito so lets hope they bite this year!

Aaron
[signature]
ya seriously dude... I CAN'T WAIT. well if they are biting at the shoe... then they will bite at the island. eventually... I have a feeling that we will have really good fishing in the fall.

joe
[signature]

Hi there DH_tubinjoe and tubinarron,

Fished at Catalina today. Fishing was fun but catching was lousy for the freshwater outfit Calico anglers like me. Lots of barracuda. The real news is that the water temperature at Bird Rock was 71 !!! BUT......Didn't see a single yellow breeze by!

JapanRon
[signature]
welll that yellow probably would have kicked you butt on that freshwater outfit! i'll tell you that.

oh i was reading in western outdoor news that some guy caught an 18# yellow on 2# TEST!!!!! I nearly peed my pants after i read that!

joe
[signature]
right now I am packing a catfish under my name. a big o'l gummy mouthed long wiskered neadle fined mud puddle hopper of a fish. I think it suits me lol [blush]
[signature]
Thought you might like to see their immediate cousin from down under. Exact same species, except on steriods.

Have a stab at it's weight if you want..

[image]http://www.demonjigs.com/images/yutaka80.jpg[/image]

It was caught by a Socal angler on a trip to New Zealand last year. Over the five days, approximately 120 yellows were tagged and released with this one the biggest.
[signature]

Hey there MasterJigBuilder,

Awesome fishies in that place a little over.. down under! The Japanese like to fish the yellows in New Zealand and it gets a lot of press. Some of the sportfishers (in a certain area,name I've now forgotten) had to fight 10 to 15 foot beach waves just to get off the coastline! rough! But the Yellows and the Bluefin Tuna are huge!

Thanks for the pic.

JapanRon
[signature]
G'day Ron and yes your right, seas can be unforgiving down here sometimes. I have also seen some of the press from the jigging done by some of the Japanese lads that visit our shores.

They have a ball on HD spin gear (Stella's) as opposed to overhead reels.
[signature]