Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Pennsylvania
Hello.

I just moved here from Boise, Idaho to go to school. I don't have the slightest idea where to go fishing and what to fish for. I love to catch trout, salmon, crappie, and bass. Any suggestions would be extremely welcomed. I live in Greensburg by the way ...about an hour southeast of Pittsburgh.
[signature]
I have a friend that lives over there and he always fishes at keystone lake. Its part of a state park over your area. Would not hurt to check it out. Im almost positive he said they stock it with trout. So take a little of everything an she what ya come up with.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I may have a wait ahead of me so I may not go for a while. Does Keystone freeze solid and allow for icefishing? How much is an day out-of state license?

Thanks
[signature]
Welcome to PA!

You'll find a ton of information on Pennsylvania's boat and fish commision website. www. fish.state.pa. us

I've lived in PA all my life and i even learned quite a bit on where and when to fish. They also have their prices for out of state lic. and etc. I lived a short way from where you're at now but i never did any fishing while i lived there. Let me know if you find anything in your area as i am always up to new spots too!

Happy Fishing!
[signature]
Yes that lake freezes solid and i dont see why you would not be allowed to fish it since it is in a state park. But you better check just incase. As for out of state license, im not sure but f you check out that website mentioned above they will be able to tell you everything you wanna know about ice fishing and license.
[signature]
Alright I appreciate the advice about keystone. I'm in a full swing of college courses right now so I don't actually know when I'll be able to try out Pennsylvania fishing. If however I wanted to take some time off and go afar, where would you suggest. Keep in mind I don't have a boat. Thanks.
[signature]
Thats simple, Erie! Drive up to Presque Bay and fish from the shore of from one of the many peirs that are up there. I think for your best luck go to the north peir and try your luck. When you go up there stop at B.A.C. bait on your way into the park. You cant miss it. They will set you up with what you need and tell ya where to go. Real nice guys there.
[signature]
Thanks a lot. What kind of fish are primarily found there?
[signature]
This time or year you will find largemouth, some walleye maybe even a steelhead or to if you are lucky. There are also many pike and muskie in the bay as well. If ya wanna catch a ton of big smallmouth ya gotta hit the place up in the spring. There is no bad spot that time of year. I always go up around the 1st 2 weeks of may.
[signature]
The area you are in has quite a few good spots. What are you looking for Stripers, Smallys or Trout? You have some good options all within an hours drive.

Lake Arthur has great striper action. Trout - there are plenty of creeks. Slippery Rock, Oil Creek some I prefer. And for Smallmouth the Youghiogheny River is by far the best. If you head to the Upper Yough you can find a nice Trophy Trout section. The Yough, which is what we call it, is my favorite.

[#0000ff][/#0000ff][#0000ff]Sorry no links permitted that contain other forms![/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks! I appreciate the info. [reply][/reply]
[signature]
If you are looking for some great steelhead action in the fall, Erie is definatly a place you have to go. I love fishing Elk creek and Walnut creek and usually do well at both spots. The closer to october u will stay closer to the acess points but by december, if u can handle below 0 temps, you can go miles upstream untill your arms are ready to fall of from fighting these awesome fish[fishon]
[signature]
Thanks for the information. Is that fly fishing or spin fishing? I don't know how to fly fish yet.
[signature]
You can do both. I always take my fly rod just in case as a back up but am not the greatest fly fisherman and usually end up using my spinning gear most of the time. In clear water use 4lb florocarbon and 6lb in stained water. Youll need a steelhead rod and places like gander mnt. usually have them on sale around that time. These rods take most of the abuse so u can use small line like that and still bring in 10-12lb fish if your patient enough. There are so many ways to fish for these fish that are successfull that you just have to try stuff and it all depends on the weather and time of day
[signature]
Being that I'm not native to PA. Is there a fish consumption advisory on any of the waters? (ex. mercury levels, etc.) Do you keep your catch?
[signature]
Yes there is mercury advisory, Im not sure what the total amount is but im sure I go over it when its steelhead season. Ha ha! Im preety much a catch and release guy but do keep them if they are big enough to get a nice fillet or am planning a fish fry
[signature]