Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Filled Flies
I saw this Stonefly that is designed by Robert Williamson:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying...07fotw.php

An interesting technique. Now I am going to have to go and see what sizes and colors you can get heat shrink tubing in!!

I am thinking a black beetle might be fun to try... or an ant pattern.
[signature]
Those have been around for quite awhile. Robert lives close enough he makes several of the fly tying shows. He really is a genius.
I have some of that same tubing, but have never got around to using it, but then I don't usually get the chance to fish STONERS.
Thanks for posting this!
[signature]
on the patterns you talk about cant you do the same thing with foam?? either way Id be curious to see how your ideas come out in a post [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yes, you can do foam. That is what I have used for hoppers, and why I still have these tubes sitting on my bench...LOL
[signature]
lol.. I would think.. but really dont know.. that these air filled tubes would float longer.. and maybe higher... but I found regular foam beetles very easy for me to tie... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well, floating higher is for the fisher, not the fish. There is an article I read recently in a fly magazine (can't remember which one) that you might not want your fly to ride right on top. That in truth, there are very few bugs that do.
I know I have cast out a nice dry before all Frog Fanny coated and it is beautiful sitting there and very visible, but the minute I give a slight tug and it goes sub surface, that is when the hit.
[signature]
I think that has been discussed on here before.. and I know you have said it before that in general a fly (dry, foam etc) that is just under the waters surface is the fly that get the most action (as far as surface flies go).. and it does make sense since at least part of the body of a real insect has to be at least partially submerged when floating on the surface..

on topic .. maybe that is the way these air flies are designed.. high visibility as far a location goes for the angler.. but give a litte tug to cause some subsurface action and that is when the fish like it..:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Like the Goddess said, I have had more hits on subsurface dries than those that sit on the top.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Bass on the other hand, they love those right on the top offerings.
[signature]
different flies for different fish ?? [Wink]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Especially if the fly disturbs the surface plain.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]