Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Fly Hooks
Allen Fly fishing is selling TMC hooks 100 for $7.00 just thought id share.

http://allenflyfishing.com/hooks_midcurrent.htm
[signature]
Reels, Lines and other things too. I got on board with the hooks and have several reels. Can't beat the quality and the price.
That new reel is AWESOME!!!!
[signature]
There Trout Series reel looks bad ass !!!
[signature]
The drag is perfect. I have lost way too many EXPENSIVE reels to the depths, not to mention on rod and the lines, I decided I only need a reel for line with a fair drag (my Vosselers have no drag, just rim)
SPECIALLY for trout (other game fish may require more).
The Drag on these reels is very adjustable.
I have the XL series, but getting that new Trout for Christmas.
High quality at a low price puts more money in the lines and rods.

For anyone getting started, this is awesome!

Those hooks though, I am set for life!
[signature]
SLOW DOWN!!
These are NOT TMC hooks these are allen no name hooks that are referanced to size and shape match of TMC hooks.

BUYER BEWARE!

you can buy mustads to match size and shape of tmc cheaper.
[signature]
The price looks good but isn't that trout series a bit heavy? Does anyone have experience with fishing with it?
[signature]
Like I said, my XL is the pre Trout. Heavy compared to what though?
5.41oz may be a tad heavy on the 5 wt side. That happens when you have that kind of line choice. most reels are 5/6 - 7/8, but this being 5/7 makes it a little heavier.
The Orvis mid-arbor reel for 5-7 is 5.7 oz and it is fine one my light rods.
I prefer the rod to be a little butt heavy for that pendulum effect. Less tiring on this old gal...LOL
[signature]
The Orvis mid arbor II is the absolute heaviest reel I've ever used in Utah. Heavy compared to other bar stock aluminum reels. I guess I'm not quite that old yet[Wink]. Plus some of the places I fish I do more snake casting where there isn't any pendulum effect and the lighter the better. I guess it is a large arbor but who needs that for trout? I know we're getting off subject but do you have any experience with Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels? Lighter and right now I can get one for a 5 wt line for less as they're on sale. Plus Orvis has their unconditional warranty. While I've never lost a reel in the drink I've had brush steal part of a rod and Orvis replaced it free even when I told them I was at fault.
[signature]
I do. In fact I have a V BBS that I put the multi tip line in 8 wt. on because the weight factor. Works great on my BIIx but the 10' Orvis TL 8 wt feels tip heavy. That gets your arm after a full day.

I guess I don't give it much thought or notice ounces going from a Mid to a CFO or Hardy or Tibor. I do notice the Traditional and the LA.
And I love the Large Arbor any time. So much easier when a fish comes at you and you are using barbless, plus like you said, you certainly don't need a ton of backing for Trout. Backing weighs.[cool]

Good on you for the Orvis Warranty. I sent my Trident back because the reel seat cap came off...they sent me a bill for $30. I called and told them it was their fault not mine, they finally dismissed the charge but it cost me $15. to get it back to them for them to fix.
The reels have that charge also, but I have never needed it on any of my Orvis reels.
I have had handles fall off though and counter weights...I just put them back on.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Reels, Lines and other things too. I got on board with the hooks and have several reels. Can't beat the quality and the price.
That new reel is AWESOME!!!![/quote]

flygoddess, how is the quality on the hooks? Are they in the Mustad range? Better? I've been curious if anyone has used these hooks for tying, would like to hear your thoughts specifically on the hooks.
[signature]
No problems yet. Love them and they are sharp. I have bought Mustad lately that have had no eye, or two hooks stuck together, or bent, along with some Tiemco hooks. They all have their Oooops. But for this price you get a grundle, that is one or two is messed up it don't matter.
Just sayin' but I Haven't had a bad hook yet.
[signature]
Nice, what I was hoping to hear. Thanks FG! I'll be picking up some of these over the winter for sure.

I do wish they had some of the bigger stuff though....would love to be able to find a good deal on size 2/0 and bigger. Wink
[signature]
YIKES! You after WHALES! just kidding[Wink]
[signature]
Not whales...

[Image: IMG_0629.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2166.jpg]

Sometimes a size 2 streamer hook just won't get the job done! [Wink]
[signature]
DANG!!!!!
[signature]
And Double Dang!!!
[signature]
This was the first year I have targeted them. I have a close friend who has chased them successfully over the years, but not with his fly rod. So we made a goal to catch muskies on the fly with flies we tie ourselves. Well, he and his bro's went to work and were killing them while I sat studying for the bar this summer. I finally got my first (just a little guy) early in the fall. Boated 3 fish on 3 different flies that day. And now I'm addicted.
[signature]
What are you using for leader and tippet?
[signature]
A 15-20 lb leader with a short section of toothy critter tie-able tied to the fly did the trick for me.

My buddy set me up with a slick swivel system so you're not having to tie the toothy critter leader each time you change flies. I know some people use 40 or 50 lb flouro instead of the steel leaders. I haven't myself yet though.
[signature]
when you go to the site to look at what he has I think there is a link to contact him (Justin).. he is a good guy and is always open to suggestion..

sis... Im glad you like his hooks.. now I have a place to get more reasonably priced hooks... and to me an FG thumbs up is the icing on the cake.. .... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]