Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raising deer
Just curious if anyone knows the regs for raising mule deer here in the state. We've got a farm and we love to hunt but wondering if its even allowed or if anyone has any experience with it? Thanks
[signature]
Raising a deer on a farm and basically making it a domestic animal to then go shoot it is not hunting, it is called ranching. I would hope the UDWR does not allow this. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers just my take. I wish everyone all the luck in fair chase hunting.
[signature]
I never said we were going to hunt the deer we would be raising.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Most states have pretty rigid laws against keeping or raising wild animals, birds or gamefish. There may be some allowances, for those who meet specific standards for habitat, care and maintenance...and who are not doing so for any commercial purpose. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not know the exact legalese aspects of raising deer in Utah, but if you spend some time on the DWR website, and maybe call the information phone numbers provided, you can get a more definitive answer. [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck. Let us know what you find out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
there is a family in south jordan who raise elk several hundred of them not sure what they do with them but i have gone over and taken several pictures of them awsome
[signature]
My email was returned by the dwr and they said that mule deer are not allowed to be domesticated, elk are, but we really have no interest in raising elk. Something about mule deer just fascinate me. Oh well. Maybe I will have to move to texas. It wouldnt be all bad, i could fish for alligator gar.
[signature]
I apologize, I was under the impression you wanted to raise the deer to then use them as game which I do not believe is right. Hunting is a wonderful tradition in our states, but the animals should be hunted fair chase. I guess I am a little bitter over the fact that hunting is becoming so commercialized. I grew up in a family that hunting was a great tradition where I could spend time in the field with my father and grandfather learning from them and from the animals that were taking. Now that I am older I spend countless hours in the field during hunting season and many miles on my boots. I do not believe for a minute that the only people that should have the opportunity to enjoy what I love so much is those that have thousands of dollars to spend. I love to see young adults out there with their first game animal, it is so much more gratifying than taking an animal myself. It is unfortunate that many young ones are starting to believe that the measure of a trophy comes from how much your parents spent on your "guided, private land hunt". Sorry for the rant, and again I say good luck to everyone in their "fair chase" hunts.
[signature]
There are worse places to live than Texas[Wink]. I grew up in East Texas. Plenty of white tail deer, game birds, and...oh yeah, the fishing is awesome! You could use a bow for alligator gar if you wanted. Some areas of the state (closer to Houston or more south) can get you into great freshwater and saltwater fishing. I didn't know anyone growing up who raised deer but there were a few ostrich and emu farms out where I lived. I'm pretty sure they were raised for their meat. Found some similar farms in Salmon, Idaho years ago and got some ground emu and ostrich "steaks." Pretty delicious just extremely lean.
[signature]