Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
it is the perfect time of year for this!! Isn't it?
well I decided I wanted some good olde fashion home made chillie I have 20 pounds of elk left in the freezer so I dicided to use some for chillie because well it just seemed like the right thing to do.. It has been on the stove top now for about 12 hours and still about 15 more hours to go I'm so ready to dig into some elk chillie added my own blend of spice that I have never used in this application befor but the way it is smelling right now I think it is going to be amazing... I mean correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't elk chillie just sound absolutely amazing this time of year.... Which to my next thing does any one have any good recipies that uses elk burger or sirloin or roast .. I need ideas for new years .. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Wow, 27 hr chilli!
So is this a recipe you can share or is it top secret?
Wish I could go hunting, actually I can go, just can't walk very far, so changes the sport for me to fishing. Never have gotten an elk always wanted to call one in during archery season, it would be sooo awesome.
Where are you at? Can you freeze some and mail it to me. Just kidding!
Chilli is great this time of year!
[signature]
We cook all our big game meat in cooking bags. Like the one in the attached picture. It comes with seasoning and the cooking bag. All you have to do is put one or two cups of water in the bag with the meat and add any vegetables you like. I usually put potatoes, carrots, onions but my wife has put many types of mixed vegetables in the bag, just to try something different. When cooked in this way the meat always comes out tender and taste great, no wild taste at all.
Your chili sounds great too, especially with all the burger that is left when meat is processed. With the rainy weather we are having, making chili would be good way to pass the time.
WH2
[signature]
The chili sounds great. Lots of time for the flavors to meld together and get nice and mellow. The pot roast too!! I must be hungry.

I hadn't ever seen the bags with seasoning in them before. I always just use a large oven roasting bag. Always comes out moist and tasty. I like to soak a lot of our game meats for 30 min to an hour in salt water or a mix of salt, sugar, and seasonings. (Kind of like how you would brine before smoking.) The soaking takes some of the gameyness away -- strong bulls and bucks!
[signature]
That sounds pretty darn tasty!

A way that I have been doing elk sirloins this fall is slicing them about 1/4 in thick. In a fying pan, put in a big slice of butter, season and saute them. During that toast up some buns, butter them and set aside, then take the sirloins out. I like pepper jack cheese but you could use what ever you like. Ill take the cheese and layer it between the sirloins and throw a piece on top, put on your favor condiments and your golden. I may put on a little honey mustard but not much. Things are tasty without adding much to them.
[signature]
[Wink] now you are talking my language! i love a sauteed deer steak on some buttered buns with cheese. man is it good.
[signature]