Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toe warmers?
So... I think I've finally got an outfit that will keep me warm when I have to be outside in the winter. However, my toes still get cold. I have wool socks, but it doesn't seem to help much.
I have looked at the "electric" (battery powered) foot warmers, but they don't really seem all that great according to most reviews. Plus, they're a bit expensive.
Anybody know if they have foot warmers like the hand warmer packets? The hand warmer ones always say not to put in shoes, because I guess the pressure of your foot when you're walking around might burst the package and leak chemicals.

If I can find something to keep my toes warm for 3+ hours, I might actually go ice fishing this year (yeah, I keep saying that, but now that I can actually stay warm for more than 5 minutes in 25F weather, it is more possible now!)

I have been craving perch sooo much lately! I'm getting desperate enough to make the sacrifice of comfort to try getting some!
[signature]
They do indeed have the toe warmers that are like the hand warmers. Open the package shake them a bit and instant warm toes. You should be able to find them at Sportsmans or Cabellas., but cabellas is a long drive for you. Might even have them at walmart
[signature]
I have problems with my toes getting really cold fast, learned a nice insulated boot some liner socks and good woollies work the best. I use an old pair of snowboard boots and the last trip i made to causey the feet stayed warm the whole time.
[signature]
Julia give Donna a call I think Sheyenne still has your boots and I dont think she wears them.anymore......
[signature]
I picked up a jumbo pack at Sams Club last season for pretty cheap and am still using them now. They have an eight hour life on them while most others only have six.

Best of luck!
[signature]
Nifty. I just haven't gone out to really look for them, but I kinda figured they'd have the packs for footsies too. Good to know I can get 'em conveniently. I can't really afford specialty boots this year, but maybe next year!

fish_fear_me2
Yup, I gave Sheyenne those boots, then the next winter realized I didn't have any for me. So I went to D.I. and got another pair. Though I really haven't tested them out yet...guess I should. I know they have decent traction, because I slip less with those than with my sneakers.

I only tested the "ankle and up" part of the outfit today, while I went to set up a feeding station for the feral cat colony I take care of. It's 25F outside, and I was nice and toasty. A'course, I was moving around a lot too, to set up bins and tarps and stuff.
Even though I was warm, I'm still considering getting some snow pants - my wool long-johns are nice, but I wonder if snow pants would be sort of a "guarantee" of being warm too.
[signature]
Most folks make the mistake of extra socks which equal tight fit on the boots which result in poor circulation and cold feet. The toe & foot warmers work well, just don't make your boots too tight.
[signature]
They make toe warmers that are thin w/ an adhesive back. I put them on the top of my toes, so it does not effect you walking on the toe warmer. The brand is "Toastie Toes" I believe. You can get them at wal-mart for $ 1.97 for two packets. It also helps me once I set up to untie and loosen my boot laces, better circulation to my toes. My feet are always cold with nice wool socks and well insulated boots. Give them a try they are cheap, and help my feet keep warm!
[signature]
Julia make sure the new one you have are water proof. Sheyenne has new hunting boots that she is using now and the the ones you gave her still look brand new. they are water proof if you would like them back. I was able to put the hand warmers in them for her but I have seen the foot warmers at walmart also. Glad to hear you are going to try ice fishing its my favorite of all time!!!!!