Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing for trout on a tip-up
Just moved in from Wisconsin and trying to get the hang of fishing for trout. I spent Saturday on Chesterfield with 9 tip-ups...had to change out the stainless steel leaders and monster treble hooks from fishing northern pike. Since I really did not know what I was doing, I experimented with a variety of hooks and bait. We had probably a dozen flags but only managed to ice one. that rig had a #10 hook with a wax worm and a sinker up approx 12". we were about 3 feet off the bottom in 12' of water. I think Im going to rig them with small treble hooks (#14) and try a variety of baits. Has anyone had any experience fishing for trout with a tip-up?

Thanks

kw[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=68915"][/url]
Wow nine tip ups how many people did ya have with ya ? Best bet is either go with smaller treble hooks 14 should be good I use 16 or smaller or ice flies (rat finkees, ratso, ect ) or even small ball jigs tipped with a earth, wax or meal worm.

The rig we use is similar to a drop shot rig, tie 2 hooks on your line 12 to 18 inches up line then at the very end of the line tie a sinking weight ( we use small egg shaped weights ). Drop it down till it hits the bottom then reel it up a few turns.

Every now and then jig it up and down I find trout will hit it when its dropping
[signature]
I know in Wyoming you are allowed 5 rods while ice fishing and I think in Idaho it is higher than that, maybe 10 each[:/]. I agree with you on those treble hooks and ice flies. I have never had much luck with tip ups because in most cases you need to be there to set the hook. Oh course there are always those really active trout that take the bait and swallow it but they don't seem to be as common.
[signature]
Me neither I bought a tip up last year with a 2 pole permit so I could actively fish one rod while the tip up worked the other Ended up loosing a rod down a ice hole running back in forth from holes. Better to have the pole in hand for those really light strikes.
[signature]
I just relocated to UT from Minnesota so I know tipups as well. I sold my pike and walleye tipups before moving.. Just not very effective for trout. Look into tipups like the Automatic Fisherman or Slammers which work nicely for trout. Google the names and you get an idea or how they are better than the standard tipup. I also use a spring bobber setup that works. Just get a rod holder for the ice and watch the spring bobber. That said I catch far more trout on the rod I am jigging than the deadstick.
[signature]
Actually u can use up to 6 rods or tipups on certain lakes and reservoirs in WY under the special ice provision. there is a list of them in the regs. but no more than 1 hook or lure on each rod or tip up, and the angler cant be more than 300 yards from any of the tip ups.
[signature]