Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steelhead help
hey all,
new to the form but not new to fishing....something i am new to is steelhead fishing lol i finally made the trip to go do it and i kept hooking up but never able to land one lol....was wondering if you guys had any tips on that and maybe diffrent thing to try for them so maybe i could get more than one or 2 hook ups everytime i go lol

thanks all
[signature]
sorry for the late reply. i happen to be an avid steelhead fisherman. but i have a question for you are you fly fishing or bottom bouncing or jig and bobber? the best thing i cant tellyou is set your hook hard! when the steelhead wants to run let him run get your drag set perfect so the big ones can pull line when they need too. only work the fish when it lets you.
[signature]
I agree, don't be shy in setting your hook. They are tough fish.
[signature]
My cousin just came up with a new inline spinner. Its called a sachs spinner.

Go to [url "http://www.sachsfishing.com"]www.sachsfishing.com[/url] or they have a list of local distributors that carry them.

Ive been most successful with the white twist or silver flash.

They are heavier than most trout spinners(but also the same size) so they will run a little deeper for you.

Also, i like to buy a good fishing line, but for steelhead use as light of line as possible.

Good luck!!
[signature]
I agree with the person that said to make sure you set your hook. Just keep your rod up and be careful. Sometimes those steelheads will come in quick and you think you've landed a small one, lost one, or something and the next thing you know they are running past your boat! Also, I use treble hooks and where im at it seems like most people who run a single hook lose a lot more fish, especially steels.
[signature]