Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cork tape care
is there a way to treat your cork tape handles, besides not using them, so that it doesn't get all cracked? is there something i am not doing. I see this problem on a lot of rods. the corktape is all rotten looking and cracked.

just curious

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

That's a question you ought to ask at least the rod building or the tackle tips board.

My experience is that I have the cork tape handles I wrapped myself and there is no problem with them after 3 years of constant use on the boats. I don't wash down my rod handles and try not to leave the rods on the deck when the boat is being scrubbed down. I knock off the scales before they dry on the cork.

Clorox bleach and the other stuff we use on the deck doesn't do any good on any of our gear! ha ha

Anyway, check with guys that have more experience. Oh ya, when I put on my tape, I made sure the surface underneath was clean and dry and then wrapped the tape pretty tight and made sure there were no spaces between wraps. I pushed each wrap up against the last one.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Hey there DH tubinjoe,

Just like JR said that question would be best answered by a professional. Just pop over to the Tube site and ask TubeDude. If he doesn't have the answer, no one will. ha ha.
[signature]
Like I said on the saltwater board, just take it to Youngs and have him double cork it!!! Or switch to Butt Cord Like I did recently!!!

Aaron
[signature]
ya i think I am just gonna do that.. just switch to the cord.

we'll see.

joe
[signature]
Usin Your head Joe, Usin your head

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there dh_tubinarron,

On the cord wrap I gotta put in my two cents. I don't like the cord or at least the diameter of the cord on one rod I had because the blank was pretty thin and a good size fish and a 15 minute fight left your hands really messed up and sore. The cord can be slippery depending what you treat it with.

Maybe a smaller diameter cord would be ok but......

JapanRon
[signature]
cord is better than tape and

BERTH 55 IS BETTER THAN PIERPOINT [cool]

Aaron
[signature]
haha plain and simple!

joe
[signature]
Hay Tubinjoe

The best way to care for your cork tape is not to use it DUH!

OR what I do is cover it with shirnk tubeing I cover from the base of the reel to six inches beyond the top edge of the cork tape this will protect the tape and rod from the reel seat clamp and the rail. If you have a hard time finding longer pices of shirnk tubing at the right price email me.
[signature]