Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fly rod 5-6 weight 9 ft
I am looking to purchase a new fly rod. I have been looking for sometime. A few things I am pretty sure of.

9 foot
5-6 weight
4 piece
$200-$300
fast action
Mostly lakes, occasional river

I have read alot about sage rod being amoung the elite. I was looking at the flight series.

[url "http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=242794"]http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=242794[/url]

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.
[signature]
Sage are great rods, I would stick with a 5 wt. in whichever you choose, perfect all around weight for fishing the lakes and rivers. I would also suggest looking at St. Croix (Avid and Rio Santo rods) or spend a little more and look at the Legend Ultra. But there are tons of great rods in your price range.
[signature]
everything you need is contained below:

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/products/nano-ti
[signature]
I need to try one of those rods Zach, I grabbed an Alpha reel and it is sweet!!!
[signature]
While you mention one of the only Manufactures to stay US made (Sage) and St Croix is there also.
I am hearing all sorts of good things from the ASIAN made Winstons. They are in you price range and they are under the guide lines of Winston. Plus they are all fast action.
If you are targeting more the STILLWATER then I think a 6 is a good choice. That is my choice for Strawberry, and the Bass and brown at Jordanell but also the vegetation that is involved.
[signature]
I have really enjoyed my croix ultra legend it has served me well. The warranty on the sage and the croix are really worth the investment. I have to say nothing but good things about croix warranty and costumer service.
[signature]
You might check out the Templefork Outfitters Pro series also. I have the 9ft 5/6 wt and love it. It really is a sweet rod in my opinion. Loaded with sharkskin line it casts beautifully,and easily.
pa
[signature]
I will throw my opinion in i like the Scott A3 my buddy owns one and i really liked it. i throw a sage though so you cant go wrong there.
[signature]
Here's a 9', 5wt, 4pc., for $200, with a 25 year guarantee from a company that will be around in 25 years too.

[url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=28RY_A&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=14816&subcat_id=7015"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=28RY_A&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=14816&subcat_id=7015[/url]
[signature]
To stray just a bit, The Clearwater USE to be my first choice, but I just have a hard time understanding why Companies move to Asia to save THEM money, but the product price stays the same..........[mad]
[signature]
I'm with you on that FG. However, more companies than not have done it. I mean, Penn and Winston? That's sacreligious. Every week I hear of another one.

But, avoid Asia-made stuff, and you might as well move to a cabin in the woods and fish with a stick. In all fairness, we're part of a market, global, economy. The way its currently set up, I can't blame many of them for moving to keep their profits up. They have bills, US employees to pay, and US health insurance to pay for too. They move to keep their costs from going up, and keep the product prices the same. Otherwise, the prices would rise and sales would drop. The solutions are national and political, and are not being addressed.

Ok, enough straying! The Clearwater is just one option I thought should be considered in that price range. Not many 25-year guarantees on rods for $200. There's a lot of good rods out there today, foreign and domestic, at reasonable prices.
[signature]
Okay now you've done it...LOL Bare with me one more minute.
Winston has never really had an entry level rod, but, now through the money saving advantages to over seas, they do. This is a good marketing move.
I have nothing against Asian made. TFO, and Allen's are both outstanding proof...also Redington.

But Orvis Clearwater WAS American made for the same price it's Asian name sake is.

They offer their $700+ line in a $400+ package USA made with just putting cheaper, slightly heavier hardware on them, which says to me, they can make it for less right here.

I agree, we have put ourselves in the position to rely on foreign made product, and such is life, I just say, if you are going to Asia to save money having it made, reflect that to the USA consumer...we aren't blind and we see this. Outcast did the same thing.

Okay off my soap box, but I had to get that off my chest and this was as good of spot as any....SORRY, back to regularly scheduled NEW ROD.
[signature]
Yeah, I think we're on the same page, more or less! But now your pulse is up, your circulation is better, your chest is lighter ([blush]), and you feel invigorated on an otherwise gray, cool, dreary winter morning![laugh]

You're welcome![Wink]
[signature]
Awwwwwe..... Now can we talk REELS.....LOL
[signature]
I'll keep my St. Croix's, although I think my 9/10 wt. is an Asian made rod, it's an Emerald Matrix by Gremlin Flyfishing. I did some research and the blank is from American Tackle Co. so maybe it's not Asian.
[signature]
I got a hypothetical question whould it make a difference if those Asian made rods were made in America by Asians ? My point being both rods would have been scrutinized under the same standards of the MFG of the rod company not like a independent Asian rod company who make its.own standard.
[signature]
I could care less where a rod is made as long as it catches FISH!!!![Wink]
[signature]
I forgot to mention that the Temple Fork Professional series
has a lifetime warranty for the original registered owner. repairs will be done in Dallas Texas, the company HQ. This rod is 149.00 at Sportsmans warehouse. You are welcome to try mine if you like.[Smile]

pa
[signature]
[quote sinergy]I got a hypothetical question whould it make a difference if those Asian made rods were made in America by Asians ? My point being both rods would have been scrutinized under the same standards of the MFG of the rod company not like a independent Asian rod company who make its.own standard.[/quote]

The only point to this is, they are moving to Asia to make them ....well less expensive as far as production goes, not necessarily cheaper in quality. They do it to save money. Which means, one does get the same item so to speak, but at a much higher profit to the manufacturer. Which also means a much lower return on resale, if that were to ever be an issue.

I have no problem buying Asian...almost impossible to not. But, there has been so great answers and recommendations here.

Plus, I am betting the assembly line overseas is filled with employees that might not even know what fly fishing is. Just a pay check to them. Where as US the assemblers have been doing this for years and are skilled. Just my thoughts on this of course.

I paid close to $300. for an Orvis reel back when they were English made (same co. that made the Hardys). The name sake reel is now made in China for the same price....no way. That is all I am sayin'.
[signature]
Shoot dude, I actually have a sage fli 4 piece 5wt that i'm looking to sell. If you are interested send me a pm.

Here is my two cents on the rods, I would HIGHLY recommend the Ross Essence FW rod. I picked up 2 of them in the spring, a 4wt and a 7wt, and they are great rods for the price. Though they are more medium-fast action, they have proven to be very versatile rods.
[signature]