Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sitka Report 8-22 - 8-27
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]We fished out of Sitka for 4 days with Big Blue Charters, Aug 22nd - Aug 26th as this was my first experience fishing Alaskan waters, what follows are some observations, and a daily catch report.[/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]First of all I must comment on the boats that Big Blue Charters uses. They have about 6 Osprey 26’s with inboard diesels. They have full cabins and are really clean and well maintained. The ride was really nice and I would estimate them to have a top speed of about 30Kts.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]The tackle provided was in good working order with Shimano Charter specials on Loomis rods for the Salmon gear, and Trinidad 30’s with Spectra on Daiwa Interline rods for the bigger Butts and Rockfish. (I being a tackle Ho brought a 665XH with a 16S, an 800M with my Accurate 99, and a 196-8 with an ABU 6500)[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Day 1; Karen Keating, the co-owner of Big Blue met us at the Hotel at 5:45 for a short ride to the docks where their fleet of charter boats reside. We were assigned to fish with Brian the first day, and he was right on the fish. We proceeded to boat many Coho’s in the first few hours with an occasional King mixed in for good measure. If you left your bait on the bottom for too long, it was immediately pounced on by either Black Rockfish, Ling’s in the 30-40 inch range or those pesky 15-30 pound Halibut. (Good God, I’ve never released so many Halibut) We had to release all Hali’s caught inside Sitka Bay, as they are reserved for Locals. I got no problem with that. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]After spending most of the morning inside at a spot called the Rockpile, we headed to Sitka Point, about 15 miles from the harbor, there we got more assorted Rockcod with Canary Rockfish as big as I’d ever seen. And a few more Coho’s to continue filling the fishboxes.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]We made a short move to a deep-water spot outside the bay (300’) to try for some bigger Butt’s. We were right on the fish again the first drop with 2 pounds of lead and about a 20/0 circle hook we all went bendo. First to the surface was about a 35 pound Halibut, by my Bro-in-law Matt, it went into the box. Next was Matt’s Dad but he’s got the biggest Ling I’ve ever seen. It has to be 60” well over the 40” slot limit; it was released so quickly I didn’t get to photograph it. But its head was as big as a Basketball![/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]I get my fish to the surface and it’s a Huge Red (Yelloweye Rockfish) it was as big as any I’ve ever seen about 20 pounds. This place is UNBELIVABLE.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]And so it goes, for the next hour it was all you could handle on the Halibut to 50 pounds and Limits of Ling’s and Reds.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]After leaving the Halibut biting we once again moved to the Rockpile to fill out our boat limits of Coho Salmon, and Kings to 30 pounds.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]That night we had dinner at one of the local Sitka restaurants and finished the night at Ernie’s Bar next to our Hotel.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Day 2: After a 4 am wakeup call and a big breakfast we once again headed to the docks, where Mike Keating (The Boss) was to be our skipper. And he was for the remainder of our stay, and I think it was appropriate, he gave us all a hard time and we gave it right back, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Once he found out I was a Long-Range fisherman he tried to convince me that Salmon fought harder than Tuna… I’m not convinced, although I did have to loosen my drags from Tuna Tight to Salmon Loose.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]He also tried to reason with me about fishing “Cattle Boat Style” I said I couldn’t explain it, and it was something he needed to try. Back to the report. Day 2 consisted of More WFO Sitka Coho Salmon fishing; these things were boiling like tuna on the corner and would attack just about anything thrown in the water. I figured out that I was under gunned with 12lb on the bigger Kings and switched to 25 for the remainder of the trip. I also found out why they use such parabolic rods for Salmon, as they have a head shaking run that will pull any hook when using a fast taper blank and a Heavy Drag. Everyone up there uses cut plug Herring for bait. There is no live bait allowed, but it didn’t matter as long as there was a slight spin to the bait on the drop or on the retrieve, you were bit. I lost several 5” Big Hammers in Green sardine but I don’t think color mattered, the fish just chewed the rubber tails to shreds. Day 2 ended early with boat limits of Kings, Cohos, Lings and those pesky 30 pound Chicken Halibut.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Day 3: See day 2 WFO! Matt hooked up and was quietly reeling in at a deep water Halibut spot, he thought he had a Big one on. He likes to be kind of stealthy and surprise us when he’s hooked up. When he finally calls for the Gaff I look over and he’s got not 1 Big Halibut, but 2 one was about 50 pounds and the other was in the mid 30’s I couldn’t believe it. This place is out of control.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Day 4: Since we had plenty of Salmon in the freezer already, Mike asked us what we wanted to do with our last day. We decided this would be the day for the Big Halibut, Big Red’s, and to fill our Limits of King Salmon. (You can take home 3 each) Mike took us to the South end of the Bay near a NOAA weather station where he had caught bigger Kings before. When we got there birds were working the area, Bait was thick and meter marks were looking good, we all dropped in and again it was all you wanted.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]I proceeded to wear out several more Big Hammers, this time Rainbow Trout color. It didn’t matter. It turned out to be Coho’s no Kings, so after about an hour of wide open Salmon we headed to the spot where Big Halibut lurk… nothing there except a Jumbo sized Blue Shark and a Large Skate, (Imagine a 100 pound Shovelnosed Sand Shark). We moved to a shallow spot that held “Those Trashy Rockfish” Mike’s quote was “Why do you guys want this junk?” the Junk he was referring to was all quality Reds to 25 pounds and lings to 40 pounds. I got rocked on a Big Chrome Iron with a rubber grub attached, I had the 130lb Jerry Brown buttoned down and pulled Mr. Ling out of his hole, but alas he was over the 40” slot and he too had to go back. God I love this place![/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]I ended up bringing home 3 boxes of packaged fish. At 70 pounds each, Alaska Airlines hit me up with a $150 overweight charge but I guess that’s the way it goes, my freezers are full, the smoker is working overtime and all my friends are supplied with fish for some time to come.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]As far as the operation, I can honestly say that Mike and Karen Keating love what they do. We were treated great, they were always right on time, the boats were top notch, and the fishing was fantastic. This is coming from someone who is used to San Diego LR boats, I would recommend Big Blue Charters to anyone wanting to fish the Sitka area.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]I’ll post some photos as soon as they are developed and scanned.[/size][/font]

[signature]
Turns out all my film got exposed by the X-Ray Machine at the airport, so this is the one and only photo I've got

[image]http://www.bigbluecharters.com/scrapbook/2003/images/20030814_15.jpg
[/image]
[signature]
them are a couple of dandies...[shocked]

makes me wonder if what percausion shoud be taken, if it might be better to mail the film home or have the pictures developed prior to a return flight.

I wonder howmany other people are having the same difficulties. I am guessing that you had a 35mm and they opened up the cammera to see what was inside?
[signature]
Dave, I'm pretty sure they didn't open up the Camera, I was carrying it onboard in my backpack, the exposed rolls were out of the Camera at the time, there was a sign saying that film speeds of asa 400 or lower wouldn't be affected by the machines I was using 400 speed, the camera is fine as I've used it recently with no problems, the real pisser was that my boss offered his new digital cam but I told him I was much more comfortable using my SLR.

Lessons learned I guess.
[signature]