Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hackle shortage??
I have seen a couple of different stories on the [#000000][size 4][url "http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2011/02/hair-extenders-corner-hackle-m.html#"]hackle shortage[/url][/size][/#000000].. but still not sure if it is true.. or a long range April fools joke.. what do ya'll think.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I guess it is supposed to be because of the demand for hackle that is being used in the hair feather fad.

Google hair feathers and you should be able to find some pictures.
[signature]
thats what I have read but I went to Marriotts site today and I did not see any hackle listed as out of stock or on back order? makes me wonder if this story is true or not...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It is true, and all the big name hackle providers like Whiting, Metz, Umpqua, etc. are all in it for the money, so be prepare for the prices to go way up.

How dumb is this fad anyway...Like I want to be a bird head on purpose.
[signature]
I didnt double check prices on the Marriotts site... but not a surprise with this fad going on.. and that is what it is.. a new fad... maybe I should take my bag of loose hackle to a local beauty parlor and sell it for ten bucks a feather.... LOL..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Went to Fish Tech last night. They were buying capes for $30. but they are now $60.
[signature]
that is ridiculous... thats a 100% jump...

I say all these fashionistas should just do a Sinead OConnor and be done with it.. :-).. they wont need any of our hackle then..

[center][inline sinead.jpg]
[center]
[left]MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You know, the funny thing is it is a fad. Fads don't last. So in the mean time we need to find off shore hackle providers, then with the fad fades, the hackle providers can scape for awhile like they did to a tried and true purchaser.
[signature]
true... it is the new fad.. and hopefully it wont last long... but I still like the Sinead OConnor idea... :-)...

whats funny though is that the economy is hurting is hurting in so many ways... and we all know that one thing a lot of companies do is go overseas... in this case why push potentially losing long time customers over a fad.. these companies could just as easily limit the amount purchased by any one company and therefore keep the supply available and less costly to long term customers...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The problem is that the big name suppliers aren't afraid of overseas hackle.

They have put in 30 to 50 years of selective breeding into their birds. Overseas hackle can't compare to that, so they will always have a corner on the high end of the market.

Good local chickens or overseas hackle has a lot of good usable material, but you will really notice the hackle is shorter, less uniform, webbier, and has fewer small sizes.

You get less of what you want in the package, so that makes it expensive in the long run. If the price difference is enough, then off brands will be worth buying, even with the larger amount of material that is not the size you want.
[signature]
what you say makes a lot of sense but in my limited skills I dont necessarily go for the high end capes.. I usually buy whats in the little bags and the most reasonable price..

so that leads to another question ... those little bags.. are those from quality companies like whiting.. or are they from overseas ??

MacFly
[signature]
On the smaller bags -- My guess is that, if they don't say that they are from Whiting etc then they aren't. They still might be from the US or they might be from overseas.

If they work fine for what you want and need then they are a good buy. I am no expert at fly tying, but I have even found some interesting died feathers at the crafts store! They worked great on some bass and pan fish flies.
[signature]
Ive checked out feathers and other materials at craft stores but my problem is I keep forgetting sizes and names etc.. so I usually walk out empty handed... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]I usually pick up my hackle from Bob Marriott's [in person] or from J.S. Stockard on-line. No indication of a shortage or over pricing.[/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category/75000[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
You won't see an increase on capes and such. The ones you will see increase are the 100's and those long one size feathers.
I say we avoid buying any Whiting product in the future. He is the main sell out after all the loyal fly fishers. Sorry, you lost me as a customer.
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Doesn't bother me one bit for I have plenty of material, with the exception of the right Gorilla Glue. lol
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Same HERE! I even looked for the WHITE Gorilla glue at Wally World. Does it have to be WHITE?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]It turns white as it dries. Look for the label "Quick Cure" which can be seen on the label when viewing the video.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I see that, my store musta been out.[Sad]
[signature]
crap.. I was at WW today and forgot to look.. I would think a craft store or a hardware store would be most likely to carry a better stock and better variety..

as for Whiting.. I agree with you sis.. it is a kind of sell out especially since their business was built on the backs of fly tyers..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]