Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gorilla glue to make bug bodies...
I saw this video on another site and thought I would post it here...

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRp7I1Ll5Rs"]Gorilla glue to make bug bodies[/url]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That is really cool. It looks like some fun stuff to play with. Have you used it at all? What does it clean up with?
[signature]
No I have not used it yet so I am not sure what it would clean up with. I am guessing mayber soap and water or at worst acetone.

I have been looking for an easy way to make bug bodies and just happened on to this video on a different site... this stuff looks to be easy to use and once its set it looks pretty durable..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It looks like it could be really versatile and easy to use. I was just trying to figure out if it gives off any nifty fumes or not. I will have to get some and see. ---- The hubby will get to be the lucky glue sniffer first! [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Thanks for posting it.
[signature]
Gorilla glue is great stuff, but you have to be careful with it. Once set, it only comes off with a knife or a chisel. Before it sets, a little alcohol works. The best approach is just to put it exactly where you want it and dont get it on anything else. I've used it for making small repairs on flyrods in the field and it works great. I've added a drop to existing flies, but have never actually tied up a fly using it. It expands when it sets, incorporating air bubbles in it, which gives it a little buoyancy, and it is totally waterproof. I think the setting time is a little longer than he indicates on the video, but then I've never used white stuff. Mine is brown. Don't know if there is a difference.
[signature]
the brown is their version of an epoxy or super glue... Ive never seen the white or used it.. so its new to me..

as I said.. even with super glue or an epoxy you can usually get it cleaned up with acetone....

with this stuff.. Id say latex or rubber gloves may be in order..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Thanks Mac for the posting. Really like the way that material sets up. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]BTW here is a link to Gorilla's product line[/size][/#008000][/font].
[/center]
[center][font "Times New Roman"][#800000][size 4]http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues.aspx[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]Since I'm always looking to do something new, picked up a tube of Gorilla Glue this evening and tried it out as suggested in the video. Well mistake # 1 is that I didn't purchase the exact product. Instead of getting Quick Cure [forgot name] I bought Dries White 2X Faster. Well the damn stuff was still tacky after 20 minutes. No way was I able to get the glue to ball up like in the video after a few seconds on the hook. So back it goes to Michaels. BTW I bought the last tube of Gorilla Glue in stock. Guess the fly tiers cleaned them out. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
now how did I know that you would be one of the first to try this out.. LOL... once you get the right stuff Id be curious to see what you come up with.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][Image: beaten.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Tried using the Gorilla "Dries 2X Faster" product without good results. Darn stuff took too long to set. Had placed a hook with a drop of glue in my Norlander Vise to that I could turn it like a BBQ spit. Forget it. Might give a glue gun a whirl at making a fly body.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I bought some too. Was thinking my drying wheel. I will let you know the outcome.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Since the Gorilla glue didn't meet my expectations of the product, thought that I would give my glue gun a tryout. This stuff dries a bit too fast but it did work much better than the GG. It takes a coloring marker real well. Makes a nice ant body.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
got any pictures... ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Nothing to brag about at this point for I'm still practicing. Need to get the hang of placing some glue on the hook then shaping it before it sets, which is quite rapidly. But then again fish are prone to take a crippled bug. lol[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
if they will take my flies they will take your glue bugs.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I was tying up a few midges and got to thinking about using a dot of gorilla glue on them so I did.

Please realize I don't tie much unless it is something like a leech or wooly bugger. These are size 20 and my thumbs are size 200! [blush] I have a lot of dubbing fibers sticking out too far, and I have trimmed them off after I took the pictures. [crazy] I only put a trailing shuck on one, and it was over tied with some blueish-uvish kind of stuff that I kind of like. I am excited to give it and the rest of these a try soon!

Anyway here are my Gorilla Midge Emergers:

[inline GorrillaMidge1.JPG]

[inline GorrillaMidge2.JPG]

They float low in the film, but they do stay afloat quite well. I took a picture in a dark and a light cup to try and show how they were floating and what they looked like in the water.

[inline GorrillaMidge3.JPG]

[inline GorrillaMidge4.JPG]

Even though they float, I probably won't be able to see these either!! [laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Those look great..you may not be able to see them but hopefully the fish and think ... LUNCH !
[signature]
those are awsome cprierce
[signature]
I am just hoping they stay afloat, and the foam wing isn't so big that it won't leave the fish laughing their heads off! [shocked] Actually I think they look kind of bizarre[blush], but I am going to give them a try. Hopefully tomorrow!!

Getting a regular midge to stay afloat along the current seams has been a real problem. I can't seem to tie any other kind of wing that will not sink on the first cast, so I thought I would give foam a try.

Does anyone have another magic bullet midge wing that stays up??
[signature]
i know this there is a certan river that runs in a canyon that is black that midges on the surface, the surface film and sub serface were producing for me on every cast on thursday i stoped counting at 30 from the same hole
[signature]