Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canyon Lake /Guadalupe River Guide Report
CANYON LAKE: Water clear; 87 degrees; 908.70':
As the nights grow longer and the days get cooler with every
frontal passage, bass fishing will continue to improve as
surface water temperatures decline below 80 degrees.
Largemouth are good at first light on lake points using 1/8 oz. white Tiny-T buzzbaits(www.canyonlakefishing.com), 1/4 oz. clear/blue back Chug Bugs and pitching a watermelon/red Bush Pig* to standing timber and submerged laydowns along underwater points. Our best largemouth and Guadalupe Bass are coming on white Whacky Sticks(www.cremelure.com) and pitching a junebug Craw Tube* (www.canyonlakefishing.com) to brushpiles and submerged timber in 10'-25' along bluffs upriver.

Smallmouth are fair to good very early in 12'-25' on 3" watermelon Cut Tail worms, drop shot rigged pumpkin Devil's Tongue and Uncle Josh Drop Shot worms(www.unclejosh.com).

Stripers are slow tight-lining live perch in 70' and trolling Hyper Striper jigs(www.kgenterprise.com) with trailers on downriggers along the dam.

White Bass are slow vertically jigging Pirk Minnows through schools in 40' or trolling #5 or #7 Shad Raps along the dam.

Crappie are fair at first light tight to standing timber or brush on minnows upriver.
For area info. or to book a guided fishing trip with the only Fulltime, Licensed, Professional guides on Canyon Lake contact JR's Guide Service (www.jrguideservice.com); (830) 833-5688 or e-mail: jimfish@moment.net, Or, see us at Fisherman's Corner, FM 306 at Potter's Creek Road, call (210) 213-2534 or visit them at:www.canyonlakefishing.com. Check out the most complete selection of quality tackle and top brand name lures of any dealer at Canyon Lake, in San Antonio or the Hill Country: Terminator, Crème. Berkley, Zoom, ABU, Zebco and more.
[signature]
I used to live in San Antonio, haven't thought much about Canyon lake for a long time. We used to catch plenty of Blue Gills and Sun fish, but had never heard much about anything else. But that was 30yrs ago, how the lake now?
[signature]
"Blue Gills and Sunfish"(which we call bream, but we're just a bunch of hick, redneck, hairy legged bassfishermen) must have been all that you ever fished for. Canyon Lake and the Guadalupe River have a long history (almost 40 yrs.) of producing largemouth to over 11 lbs., Smallmouth over 6 lbs., Guadalupe Bass (the State Bass of Texas)over 5 lbs., Striped Bass of almost 40 lbs, and the very best population and spring spawning run of white bass averaging 2-3 lbs. anywhere in central Texas. Only the smallies and stripers were stocked in this lake. All other species are resident species and have always been available in the lake since it was impounded in 1964 and before that the in the river.

JF
JR's Guide Service
www.jrguideservice.com
Guadalupe River
[signature]
Way back then I didn't even know about LMB or SMB, I thought just catching anything was tops.

I remember when they started Canyon Lake, had my first visit in 1967, huricane Bula (is that right) in 1968 put water over the spillway at Medina & almost at Canyon lake. I moved away from San Antomio in 1972 and lost interest in fishing until I moved to Utah.

Good to hear that it has turned into a fist class fishery
[signature]