Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine Island
This past week the fishing has been good for Redfish and Trout, and great for Spanish Mackerel. The key to fly fishing this week was to hit the fish on the right tide, and be there when the wind wasn't blowing. Often when fly fishing in saltwater we do not expect to catch huge numbers of fish. But when the Spanish Mackerel are on the bite, it can be like fishing in a hatchery.<br>The bite last week was on the incoming tide, and the area we fished was the Cayo Costa on the northern part of the Sound. I heard reports of acres of Spanish Mackerel, up to about 5 miles out in the gulf. With the wind blowing last week it made it to rough to take may flats skiff out in the gulf. <br><br>The Trout fishing had its challenges too, with the wind being the main factor. For both the Spanish Mackerel and the Trout you are fishing out in the open, on a drift with the current, or a drift by the wind. While we were drifting I would mark the spots that produced strikes or fish, give them a few minutes and go back over them.<br>Clouser minnows are often the best fly, I like more flash for the Mackerel and a wire leader. The Trout will hit a wire leader, but you will catch a lot more on a 10# leader. If you get in this area with a beginner fly fisher, take your time finding a fish and make sure that you have some moving water. When these fish go on the bite it is a great way to get a beginner hooked on Saltwater Fly Fishing. They will get plenty of opportunities to set the hook and to play fish. Most importantly sloppy casting won't spook the fish.<br><br><br>http://www.flyfish-florida.com