Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATV snow plow question.
I just picked up and ATV (used) and I am wanting to get a snow plow before next winter. Are they pretty generic, or do certain ones fit on certain ATV's. What would be a good price for one?
[signature]
Well you will need to find a snow plow mounting bracket to mount on your ATV. They tend to not be to spendy. Then you find a plow that matches your mount. I would recomend getting the mount and having a fab shop make the snow plow arm. Then mount your choice of blades to it. You can make things simple and just buy everything at one you will need but it will cost you more. Do you have a winch?
[signature]
my plow is a cycle country 48". It has a mounting plate that mounts under the frame about mid way under the bike. It has several slots and 4 U bolts that help mount it to the frame tubes. The plow it's self has two arms that come back and attach by the use of pins to the frame mount. There are two way to lift the blade, by the use of a winch (recommended) or with Armstrong lifting (not recommended).

While I have heard that some of the big 4X2 bikes can push some snow. In my opinion it takes 4X4 action to get anything done. My bike is VERY light in the rear end when the plow is on. I like to use the differential lock if my speed is going to be slow.

I think the Cycle city plows are all the same as far as the plow and mounting arms go. You might need a different mounting plate that bolts to the frame I don't know for sure. My bike is a Yamaha big bear 4x4. I have plenty of power for a bigger plow BUT. my 48" fits most side walks well and it plows out drives and walks so fast that I don't see the need unless a guy is doing a large parking lot. Also plowing will work the bike. Even when it is cold outside my oil cooling fan kicks on a lot.

The winch like I said is almost a must. Mine is a waren 2000 pound. It is way more than enough. In fact I have seen the cables broken because the winch is raised too high. I want to put a rubber stop on my cable.

As far as prices go I have seen them CHEEP this year for used ones. I got a new one this year for my wifes business. I should have looked for a used one but I was in a pinch at the time. I do my parking lot, drive way, several of my neighbors and friends drive ways. I think my plow, winch and mounting came to about 800 I think. I have seen 48" plows sell for under 200 dollars.
Ron
[signature]
I do have a winch. I believe it is a 2500 lb. Looks like it was on there when the bike was purchased new.

There is a plow for sale on craig's list, but it looks kind of rusty and I am wondering if it will fit. Probably would be worth the price even if I had to retro fit it somehow, I guess.

[url "http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/2277730333.html"]http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/2277730333.html[/url]

My ATV is a Suzuki Eiger 400. It is 4WD and has low range, so I am not too worried about it having enough umph. I think it will do for here in the valley where we rarely get more than about 10 inches of snow. Do you think this one on CsL would work?
[signature]
A friend of mine has the same bike as you. He can plow in 4x2 with his. I showed him the plow and he didn't think it would work. He said his plow is like mine the cycle city plow. He didn't know what this one was. The mount on this one is way different. I am thinking it is a front mount lawn mower style mount. If you keep your eyes open you will find a cycle city in good shape for the same price. Ron
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I'll wait and keep my eyes open.
[signature]
We have the same quad as you and run the cycle country plow that was mentioned.

Only concern with that quad that I would bring up is if its the auto or if it has a gear driven tranny.

If its the auto I wouldn't recommend it. We pulled the plow off of that one after half a season due to it wearing out the clutches in the tranny. Put it on one of our quads with a gear setup and its been growing strong for 2 seasons now.
[signature]
i wanted to buy a plow too but my friend told me to buy a [url "http://www.jcwhitney.com/plow-systems-and-accessories/cycle-country/b1842c14093j1s25.jcwx"]cycle country plow[/url] on a good source that will give me assurance on the shipping of the part.
[signature]
I bought a plow. Thanks for all the input.
[signature]