Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly for Walleyes????
Does anyone have a fly pattern for walleyes? I have come up with a wooly bugger type fly with or without a brass beadhead that I have tied in purple and or chartreuse colors and added big rubber legs to it in an attempt to impart a huge goofy action and increase the profile of the fly in the water. I have been experimenting with them both trolling/casting (i know it is like swearing on the fly board) as well as on my fly rod stripping in or just letting drift.

I have been doing this mostly up at DC around moving water a bit in the provo between DC and jordanelle.

any pics would help alot for some ideas to come up with a "goofy action" fly that could be used up at DC with the added bonus of catching whities, SM bass, Eyes, and whatever else might take it.

tight lines.
[signature]
I caught a 27 incher at Deer Creek on just a #8 brown mohair leech. I would think that bunny leeches and Clousers would do the trick as well.
[signature]
Nice fish, and on a fly! Were you long sticking or fly and bubble?
I hope you let him go [Wink]

I am reading tube dude's manefesto on utah lake, and am about halfway through the walleye section. He says that in prespawn and spawn, they like a more slowed down, less erratic movement. But post spawn, anything is a go.
so I was thinking maybe a big egg sucking peach in pre and spawn.
there is a fly, but my ignorance is going to show here, that is a big streamer pattern with like a buzz blade on the head that is supposed to rotate when stripped. This would cause some vibration, and in theory, you could tweak the blade angles to affect movement, shooting for erratic.
sorry I can't think of the name.....
[signature]
I was using a 6wt and #2 sinking line. I was actually fishing for smallmouth that evening. It was almost dark and I decided I'd make one more cast. I was on a steep rocky drop off and let it sink for a whole minute before starting my retrieve. I thought I must have a carp on, it was so heavy. I normally don't keep large fish, but it was one of my first walleye and I'd never eaten them before, plus I didn't carry a camera with me back then, so I gave into temptation and kept it. They're as tasty as everyone says, though I tend to keep fish under maybe 15" now.

I know Pistol Petes have a propeller on the front. They're just a bugger with the addition of the propeller. I've tied some crystal bugger versions and done well for the smallmouth with them. I also tried making a slider with a propeller, but it wouldn't spin. I guess I need to play around with that and get it right.
[signature]
Good on ya man. I was just funnin with ya on keeping the eye since the picture was in the kitchen.
I love hitting those deer creek smallies on the fly. I've yet to actually land a walleye, period, let alone on a fly.
[signature]
I know you were just giving me a hard time, but it's just not like me to keep the big ones.

They're usually not too large, but Oneida Reservoir in Idaho is pretty consistent for walleye. I pretty much always catch them when I'm after smallmouth there. I've caught them on tubes, shakey heads, drop shotting reapers and Gulp! minnows, little jerk baits as well as the usually 3" grubs. I still haven't caught any on the fly since that one, though maybe I'll make it a goal this year.
[signature]
As G posted, the blade fly is a Pistol Pete, but maybe for Wally's try a Clouser.
[signature]
Last year I gave multiple attempts on catching a walleye on a fly. I thought I posted it here but maybe it was in the general section. Anyways, I was trying at starvation and never did get me my eye. I used mainly streamers, pretty much any minnow imitation should work but then I got to thinking about trying smaller nymphs after catching a walleye with a stomach full of the little dark scuds. I am thinking this year I will do the streamers but maybe drop a sow bug, scud, sanjuan worm or some other morsel type nymph behind the main fly. Btw a pistol Pete may be a good choice. I am with ya gstott on my goal this year for an eye on the fly. I will keep y'all posted. Oh and that's a he'll of a nice eye you caught on the fly. I am jealous. Here are some of the smalles I caught while perusing the eyes.
[Image: DSCF2388.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2385.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2379.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2378.jpg]
[signature]
Nice! First fish is real purdy, fourth one is THICK!
Smallies on a fly rod are hella fun!
[signature]
Those are some nice smallies, I bet they put up a great fight on a fly rod.

I think nymphs could be a good choice for walleye. I know I've heard of people catching them out of The Bear River in Idaho on nymphs while trout fishing.
[signature]
The only walleyes I have sought or caught were at Oneida Res this last year. I caught them fishing greenish brown and reddish brown wooly buggers over the rocks -- imitating small crawfish.
I also picked up a mirror carp on the same fly. ----- everybody likes a tasty crawdad!
[signature]