Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Challenge is Ongoing -- Hook Size
Yes, I did it. I set myself another challenge.

Started off my Fly-Tying journey with hook sizes of #6 - #8, then slowly graduated to the # 10 - #12.

Tied some #14 about 2 weeks ago, and that gave me confidence to go smaller. [Image: icon_neutral.gif] [Image: icon_e_confused.gif] [Image: icon_redface.gif]

Purchased yesterday some #16 - #18. The hooks that had scared me when I first considered Fly-Tying. Now the challenge = control (of the nerves). [Image: icon_rolleyes.gif]

Practice handling, very carefully, these babies yesterday evening (my wife look at the size of them, and looked at me and said "Are you crazy?"). Did not tie anything, just handled them and see how they fit on the vise. Practice also with the magnifying lens to find the right distance for focus accuracy, which is something to get use to.

While handling, my biggest fear was dropping one or a hundred (when opening the container) on the carpet, then having to bend down and "search". I passed that test yesterday, but I am aware that I will be facing one day or another that task. I'm only a man after all (this is to make my wife happy). OUPS! Let me rephrase that: "I'm only human".

Any advise on playing with those babies, apart from keeping the material as light as possible (e.g., number of wraps, etc.)?

My biggest concern is leaving enough room in front of the eye of the hook, to whip-finish properly. A task I still have to keep a control on with bigger hooks.
[signature]