Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic river etiquette
I thought this would be a good reminder for all since it is basically the beginning of the fishing season. I found it on another web site and I thought it was a pretty good read. It pertains to the Green River but it will work for any river where it is over populated with anglers . i.e. Provo River

Basic river etiquette

[ul][li]Give anglers (or a group of anglers) at least 50 yards of space to fish. Dry fly anglers will generally work the water moving towards the head of a run and nymph anglers tend to work the water below. With over 7 miles of accessible/decent water on the “A” section of the Green alone, there are over 12,720 yards of river to fish. Pick 50 that aren’t already occupied.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]Dry fly anglers generally work upstream. Give them their 50 yards and don’t step in the run above them. Assume they intend to fish that stretch of water. Likewise, don’t step in the river within 50 yards below a nymphing angler. Assume they plan to fish the river below.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]If two or more people are fishing a single run within 100 yards of each other, it’s NOT ok to step in the river between them.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]If you park above another angler whom you don’t know personally, do not walk down towards them along the bank to watch them fish (or land a fish). This may bust out other fish in the run sitting right off the bank.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]If you fish around a blind corner and come up (or down) on another angler, get out of the river, walk at least 50 yards above or below them, and then resume fishing. If possible try to move in a manner that doesn’t disturb fishable water.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]If you happen to bump into another angler while walking into a spot, ask them where they intend to fish and then walk in the opposite direction.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]Just because an angler isn't casting doesn't mean he isn't fishing. If the run is occupied, it's occupied - and it's never ok to jump in just because someone isn't throwing line at that point in time. They may be taking a sandwich break or resting a fish.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]Regardless of how you feel personally, there is no magic alarm clock or hard-line rule pertaining to the amount of time an angler can occupy a run. It's their water until they decide to leave it. If you spent too much time frosting your tips, coordinating your fishing ensemble, or checking out last night's scores on ESPN, too bad. Get to the river earlier next time.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]Any time a situation is uncertain, ask yourself two questions:[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]Would I appreciate someone making the decision I’m about to make?[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]Are my actions going to directly and negatively effect the outcome of someone else’s fishing experience today?[/li][li]A Final Thought on Sharing a RunEveryone has an exception to the rule of stream etiquette. I generally don’t mind sharing a run with people who pass the following test:

[/li][li]Are we related (second cousins don’t count)?[/li][li]Do I owe you money?[/li][li]Have you ever seen me in my underwear (not pretty)?[/li][/ul]
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then feel free to join me in the run. Otherwise, please be respectful and do the right thing.
[signature]
When do we go?[Wink][laugh][cool]
Thanks, great write up, but should be for all types of fishing.
[signature]
That's what I was trying to imply at the beginning. This should go for all rivers. I might head to Crittenden in two weeks. I talk to you this weekend at the Idaho show. I'll bring my fishing calendar. hehe
[signature]
Not only rivers but for those out tubin lakes as well. I hate being crowded by someone who thinks they can fish where I am just because I am catching and they aren't. Thanks for the write up love it!!![cool]
[signature]
this is UT, this does not apply obviously [frown]
[signature]
Actually it only applies to you, big guy!! Smile Or those with a Scadden.
[signature]
i like your post and my response was supposed to come off as humorous but i failed at that, let me clear it up..

your article referances the A section. the last time i was up there a certain guide outfit ran over my line three times, tried to high hole us, and actually bumped into me (while i was wading) with their boat. the guide promptly said he was trying to get his clients on fish, both gentleman were very emabarassed and apologized, thats when the guide told them not to apologize they paid him to put them on fish.

its a great wrote up and holds true for almost every river in UT aside from the green. i have witnessed deplorable acts by both guides and fisherman in general on the green. i would apply these rules to the south fork, or greys reef, or the north platte, arkansas, gunnison, east, taylor, B and C sections, and dang near every where else.

nice find gibby. i tend to stay away from people period when i fish. maybe when we take that trip we will all float the A section!
[signature]
[quote kochanut]. the last time i was up there a certain guide outfit ran over my line three times, tried to high hole us, and actually bumped into me (while i was wading) with their boat. the guide promptly said he was trying to get his clients on fish, both gentleman were very emabarassed and apologized, thats when the guide told them not to apologize they paid him to put them on fish.

[/quote]

My answer surface to surface missiles[:p]

I would say time to show that outfitter that the people rule and to start some defamation no? Better yet, sink his boat next time.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout][quote kochanut]. the last time i was up there a certain guide outfit ran over my line three times, tried to high hole us, and actually bumped into me (while i was wading) with their boat. the guide promptly said he was trying to get his clients on fish, both gentleman were very emabarassed and apologized, thats when the guide told them not to apologize they paid him to put them on fish.

[/quote]

My answer surface to surface missiles[:p]

I would say time to show that outfitter that the people rule and to start some defamation no? Better yet, sink his boat next time.[/quote]

Sad thing is, some waters are set aside for guides. In other words private, but a outfitter makes a deal with the owner. Now that there should be illegal.....OH WAIT it is in every other state but Utah!!!! But, sounds like Montana wants in on this now....NOOOOOO DON'T DO IT!!!
[signature]
This begs the question What river etiquette is proper for anglers & river rafters or rogue floaters. ( people who grab old tires ) and float down the river ?

I ask cause its almost that time of the year were the masses grab anything that floats and float the river. I will admit I do like the seeing the occasional floating nipple and I do get some respect for the guided outfits. But more times then none Ive had rogue floaters jump in the river right were im fishing or think of me as a speed bump and head right for me....[:p][frown]
[signature]
Sounds like the rogue floaters have the same respect of people as the skiers and jetskiers do of tubers and tooners.[mad]
[signature]
That's when having a wading staff with a spike on the end comes in handy......
[signature]

its almost that time of the year were the masses grab their rods and head to the river. I will admit I do like the seeing the occasional fly angler and I do get some respect for the guided outfits. But more times then none Ive had rogue anglers jump in the river right were im floating or think of me as a target and cast right for me....

You need to remember that the river isn't designated for only angling. It's a public resource that can be used for multiple recreational activities. Respect is earned, not given. Maybe it's time for anglers to start showing a little respect for others out trying to enjoy our resources??

If etiquette is an issue where you are fishing, maybe it's time to find a new place to fish?
[signature]
[quote PBH]

its almost that time of the year were the masses grab their rods and head to the river. I will admit I do like the seeing the occasional fly angler and I do get some respect for the guided outfits. But more times then none Ive had rogue anglers jump in the river right were im floating or think of me as a target and cast right for me....

You need to remember that the river isn't designated for only angling. It's a public resource that can be used for multiple recreational activities. Respect is earned, not given. Maybe it's time for anglers to start showing a little respect for others out trying to enjoy our resources??

If etiquette is an issue where you are fishing, maybe it's time to find a new place to fish?[/quote]

What a BUZZ KILLER[Wink]
[signature]
One of my favorite memories on the Green took place many years ago. A friend of mine and I were wade fishing up a couple miles from Little Hole. We were working a nice riffle, having some success when a drift boat pulls up and drops anchor right on the other side of the riffle from us in a slow portion, maybe 20-30 feet away at the most. When the front passenger began fishing the run I asked the guy on the oars, "Are you seriously going to set up and fish the exact same run you saw us fishing as you floated this direction and see us still standing here?"

The response was something to the effect of, "This is a floaters run, not a wading run. Go find somewhere else!" as the guy on the oars stood up and picked up a rod. Not going to lie, my blood began to boil, and I wanted to walk across the run and pull the moron out of his boat and kick his butt. I sat, semi-stunned and watched him immediately cast out into the run. First cast, he hooked up with a very nice fish. I would probably have to guess it was over 18 inches and probably pushing 20. You could see his little smirk, almost saying, "Told you guys this was a floaters run!" I turned to my friend and he said to me, "This guy is a dick!" Right then, the fish came off. In a moment of stupidity, and a little rage, the guy drops the F-bomb and forcefully moves his rod downward. Well, the putz didn't realize who tall his boat sides were apparently, because he didn't stop in time for his rod to hit the side of the boat and snap straight in two! He didn't have a chance to even look up before I informed him that karma is a major beyotch. He picked up anchor and continued his float without saying another word or even looking in our direction. It was instant justice! I don't often find humor or satisfaction in the mishaps of others, but I still relish and take great joy in that story.

No matter what activity, there are always jerks who are only concerned with themselves. Fishing, hunting, golf, driving, anything. Some people just don't give a crap about anyone else. Some people just don't have manners.

PS- I agree with PBH on this one, actually. Fishermen too often think they own the river. I have had floaters come way too close to me on the river. But I've also had fishermen come way too close to me as well. We have to find a way to respect each other as we all have the same right to use the rivers for our various activities.
[signature]
Great story TS30. That would be classic.
[signature]
[quote PBH]
You need to remember that the river isn't designated for only angling. It's a public resource that can be used for multiple recreational activities. Respect is earned, not given. Maybe it's time for anglers to start showing a little respect for others out trying to enjoy our resources?? [/quote]

I appreciate your comment but still does not answer the question. "What is proper etiquette" I dont mean to be rude but why would I attempt to earn the respect from someone who does not respect others. Say your were fishing a section of the river and my buddies and I came over, right were you were fishing, jumped in the water,splashed around and didn't give a !@#$ what you were doing.

Its easy to type and say we should all share the water flower power dude but reality of it is allot of these floaters really dont give a s!@# about you or I or even the river.
I mean after the season ends how many inner tubes, flip flops, hats, oars ect end up in the water

most most fly anglers respect another fishing area yes there are a few jack wagons out there but the majority Ive run into have been proper and given me and my buddies space.
[signature]
I've been on the Weber when floaters have gone by me and for the most part they try and move to the other side. But there have been times where they floated right in front of me and I've had to pull my line in. I figure no big deal. As they pass I just ask them not to litter. Of course half the time they are drunk.

I posted the original piece just as a reminder to be good neighbors while we fish on the river, whether standing or fishing from a floatation device. That is all. There is enough room and fish for all.
[signature]
I am wondering how many just are not tuned to this. They really do not think they are doing anything wrong.
I was fishing a small mountain river. I was casting straight out and letting it drift maybe 30' to a pool. Allot of bush around and with the long stick, I looked for a slight clearing.
A caster walked behind me and watched for a second to see me land a nice little trout.
He then continued down the path. I cast and let drift, then at almost the end of the drift, I see a splash.
He had gone 25' down, crawled under the brush and flipped his spoon out.\
I said, "excuse me!" and he said, "you don't own this, and there are fish there".

So, I agreed, reeled in, and walked right down the middle of the run...B*t&^ch? you bet!!![cool]

But also a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around".
[signature]

[quote sinergy]
Its easy to type and say we should all share the water flower power dude ...[/quote]
Flower power dude? That's a first. I kind of like. I think I'll stick with it.

[quote random floater] I dont mean to be rude but why would I attempt to earn the respect from someone who does not respect others. Say your were floating a section of the river and my buddies and I came over, right were you were basking in the sun and jumped in the water,splashed around flipping some string and feathers and didn't give a !@#$ what you were doing.

but reality of it is allot of these fishers really dont give a s!@# about you or I or even the river.
I mean after the season ends how many leader spools, bait containers, hats, felt boot soles, etc. end up in the water?

most floaters respect another floaters area yes there are a few jack wagons out there but the majority Ive run into have been proper and given me and my buddies space.
[/quote]

Discussing etiquette on a site where the majority of people are most likely already practicing good etiquette is silly. The reality is that this thread is NOT an etiquette thread -- rather, it's a "those other jerks are ruining my fun" thread.

Every single one of us knows that when the weather gets hot, the rubber hatch shows up. So, if that is a problem, why do you continue to go to the location of the rubber hatch? The solution to your problem is: go somewhere else.

Etiquette is different for all of us. If I'm fishing, and you show up within half a mile of me, I'm going to be upset. 50 yards? screw you -- you're too close. However, you cannot control what others do. The only thing you can control are your own actions. So, go somewhere else. Change your own attitude. Expect things to happen on popular waters, and deal with it.

complaining about other users of our public resources really doesn't gain us anything. It certainly does give us a much deserved "snob" stereotype.

(next time you hear me complaining about bass tournaments, feel free to reference this thread).

PBH
[signature]