Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking Season
Hiking season is just around the corner and I am looking for any info on some nice places to go for a hike. I am in Rexburg but I am willing to travel a little for the right trip. I am looking for anything from a paved nature trail to take the wife and kids up to summit trips that dont require any real rock climbing (I dont have the gear!)

Thanks for your help
[signature]
The R mountain trail is nice this time of year. The crest creek trail by Heise is also nice and short anytime of year. At the end of May the Darby Canyon Windcave hike is great (3 miles each way). If you can go before the tourists come en mass I would still recommend the Jennys Lake Inspiration Point Hike (3 miles each way). Probably late May would be good if snow has melted.

My favorite hike in the world is outside of Pinedale so it is an extended trip. The hike to photographers point in the windrivers is well worth the trip. (5 miles each way).

Yellowstone has so many awesome hikes I can't even list them.

Windriver
[signature]
I always like the PaliSades Creek trail. Not too bad. about 5 miles to the lower lake, another 2 or so to the upper lake.
[signature]
Thanks for the info....I have done the R mountain hike more times then I care to count and it is always fun. We just did the Cress Creek trail 2 weeks ago and had some fun. I always see wildlife in the area when I fish out there but not a single sighting while on the trail.

I will look into those others you suggested. I hope to do some backpacking in yellowstone this summer.
[signature]
I am actually planning on doing this one with some friends in the near future. How is the fishing on the lakes? I have both a fly and spin rod in small enough sizes to take up hiking but not sure about what would be better. Have you fished those lakes much?
[signature]
[quote windriver]The R mountain trail is nice this time of year. The crest creek trail by Heise is also nice and short anytime of year. [#ff0000] At the end of May the Darby Canyon Windcave hike is great (3 miles each way)[/#ff0000]. If you can go before the tourists come en mass I would still recommend the Jennys Lake Inspiration Point Hike (3 miles each way). Probably late May would be good if snow has melted.

My favorite hike in the world is outside of Pinedale so it is an extended trip. The hike to photographers point in the windrivers is well worth the trip. (5 miles each way).

Yellowstone has so many awesome hikes I can't even list them.

Windriver[/quote]

Wind Caves are awesome to hike into. This year, end of may will be a pipe dream I think. Ive ridden my sled in the canyon above Darby 4 or 5 times in the last month and it is still stacking up in there. Over 150in of base still. So unless we get some serious heat in the next month most of our high elevation stuff will be mid june to first of july this season.
[signature]
I've seen people do incredible on a fly rod, but the back cast space isn't much in most places, so I go w/ a spinning rod. The other thing I've found is that they don't care much for worms. Never seen them hit one yet. However they will go for small spinners like mepps, panther martins and just about any other spinner or spoon up to 1/4 oz (maybe more).
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up!

I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday who does a lot of hiking around here and he said the same. Unless the sun comes out soon we will not be able to hit any peaks for a few more months. I guess it will just have to be a few desert hikes until july.
[signature]
Sounds like maybe i should take both. I have been working on my roll cast and for the most part it is successful. There is just something about fly fishing on a high mountain lake/stream that can't be matched. But I am also pretty lazy sometimes so if it means catching fish without a lot of work I will probably just spin fish with my collapsible rod.
[signature]
You might also try taking the fly rod and just fish the creek along the way. I've heard there can be good fishing in there, but have not tried it myself.
[signature]
anywhere in the mountains is always good[Wink] no need for a trail is there[sly] hahha lol
[signature]
Food for thought too for the tight stuff is look at DI for an old fibergllass rod and overload it, ( 5 or 6 wt line on a 4wt rod) will make it load faster with not much line out, comes in handy on the tight creeks, beaver ponds, and mtn lakes. Or do what I did and buy a 2 wt Wink

Another thing on Upper PaliSades Lake, it has been that where it is a cutty spawning creek out of the SF that it is closed until July 1st. May have changed with the new regs so it is something to check into before heading up that way.
[signature]
PaliSades Creek doesn't open until July. It is going to be roaring down that canyon until then!! I haven't been up that hike are there any creek crossings??

PaliSades Lakes have a limit of 2, but are open.
[signature]
There are but there are bridges for them. I'd be more worried about flooding around the bridges for a while.
[signature]
I haven't been there myself, but it looks like PackSaddle Lake isn't too far away. Also there is all of the area of the southwest corner of Yellowstone Park and Falls River.

I like the Copper Basin Area. Lots of high lakes, but a few short hikes also.

It will probably be July before most of these open up.
[signature]
another fun one for august is hurricain pass in the tetons. ( i prefer to start on the driggs side and ride the boat across jennys lake) It is like 22 miles and an absolutely beautiful hike. the guide book says 1 to 2 days but i have on four occasions now done in in a day. only problem is getting a car on one end or the other. and remember to carry enough cash to cover the one way boat ride across the lake
[signature]