Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Summary
Fishing continues to be extraordinary at the big lake. Fishing out of Antelope Point Marina we are typically having 100 fish days.

Stripe bass are so plentiful that there is no limit and anglers are encouraged to keep all they catch. We're not having a problem catching fish, it's the filleting hundreds of them that becomes an issue, but its a nice problem to have, I suppose.

Although we are currently targeting the prolific stripers, we catch walleye, smallmouth, crappie and channel cats as well. The largemouth bite is going on, but we haven't had time to fish for them.

Fishing is excellent all along the lakes 139 miles from Hite on the north to Antelope Point Marina at the south end. Stripers have moved into the main channels and are also in the off colored water in the backs of the hundreds of canyons.

We're catching stripers on both anchovies and gulp minnows. Trolling with crank baits is an effective way to locate the schools then switch to chovies, gulp minnows or jigs.

We are catching walleye incidental to striper fishing, but have also had success w/bottom bouncers and night crawlers.

Small mouth are being caught on grubs, rattle traps and senkos in the rocky structure.

Calm seas tight lines, Captain Steve Henline
[signature]
I told the wife we should have went to my church this weekend and once again I lost. That looks like a great time on the water. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I'm headed down in 1 week and I cant wait!!!!![cool]
Come on GOOD weather!!!!!

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
[signature]
I am so jealous congrats on your catches .I know its such a hassle cleaning all those fish but one you dont mind i bet. [:p]
[signature]
Congrats on catch I fished friday and saturday between moki and forgotten canyon and caught 2 smallies.[mad]
[signature]
We were in the Good Hope area on Thursday and Friday.
4.21 - 4.22 Four of us in one boat. Fishing was AWESOME!!! Caught over 60 crappie. Around 100 Bass. Only 4 walleye, and picked up 11 striper in the mouth of red canyon. Tore off the ducer so could not target them properly. Thursday was windy. Friday was one fish after another all day long. Beautiful sunny day. Everything was biting anything. Great trip! Majority of fish caught in red canyon but fishing a little down lake was great too. Bass were not up on beds yet but are very close. Mud line was past good hope bay. Caught some very black looking crappie.
[signature]
You know Capt. Steve, they do make larger coolers!
Looks like the clients knew who to "hook-up" with down at the low end of the lake. I'm looking forward to getting out next week from Bullfrog north. Tight lines and fair winds.

Mike
[signature]
Where can you get a boat in on the North end of the lake now with Hite closed? I haven't been down there for about 6 years and am looking for a new access point North of Good Hope Bay. Awesome results, definitely got me dreaming of Powell again.
[signature]
Anybody think the stripers are close to a bust? Everyone seems to agree there are grundels of them this year, wonder if they'll eat themselves out of house and home
[signature]
There are many millions of stripers in the lake. Based on what we are seeing at the south end, the vast majority will survive the next few weeks until the shad spawn once again produces BILLIONS of fry for the stripers and other game fish to feed on. If a million stripers were to die it would make the fishing better.

I'd say "fishing will continue to be excellent, especially with all of the gizzard shad entering the mix this spring."

Reports coming from the North end of the lake shows that the stripers are healthier there due to more available feed, but there is nothing wrong with the south end where we continue to have 100+ fish days with the great majority being healthy. Calm seas, Cap
[signature]
The stripers are not easy to find all over the lake, they move as the time of year goes..

And lots of the shad are over 15" long and are to big for most of the stripers to eat but spawn and feed all the fish in the lake.. This past year was kind of a low for the shad but with this years run off coming should help the shad..
[signature]