Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stillwater fishing
This past weekend I fly fished my favorite stillwater lake in Idaho.
My wife joined me and we fished for only 3 hours...I tried like heck to catch fish with green chronomids, red chronomids...nothing! Since fall I have not had luck with chronomids..I even tied up a kamploop blood worm pattern by chan. I am convinced my presention is seriously lacking. Unless you all beleive my patterns are way off...
My wife hooked up 5 times and landed 3! She trolled a tadpole tied by flygoddes on a sinking II line. LOL! she let me stomach sample the fish she was landing...see below!

my typical setup floating line with 9' tapered mono leader and flourocarbon tippet and indicator set so fly is about 1- 2 feet above the bottom. strip slowly. I usually setup a tandem fly setup with clinch knots and lower fly about 12" down.

any thoughts? I like trolling streamers but I am intrigued right now about matching the food source. Maybe I should stop being stubborn and use what works right?

Match

[inline SAM_0641.JPG]
[signature]
I would have thought your chironomids would have worked. They are certainly eating well.

Maybe slower?? Almost no movement at all.
[signature]
maybe too low in the water column... do you fish off of an indicator with this set up.. FG has a video on her blog showing how to rig one up...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
not sure what I am doing wrong. I do use FG indicator setup. I will go to deeper waters and use a loop knot next time i go out.

Best part is going back out and trying again!

Match
[signature]
you got that last part right... have you tried any other flies than chironomids.. like maybe that micro leech or the diawl bach ??

MacFly
[signature]