Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tent caterpillars
Anyone ever tie one of these up? I found an example of one tied like a woolly worm. Having trouble finding the material for the body but came across an item today that might work. Will tie one up here this week and see how it looks.[cool]

If anyone has tied one lets see the finished product![fishin]
[signature]
I would think an Ultra chenille. Either woven or a marker to get the different tones then Hackle for the fuzz.
I made one using only hackle wrapped tightly, then trimmed it when done:

[Image: WoolyWorm400.jpg]

But some are poisonous and the fish won't eat them, aren't they?
[signature]
Apparently some fish do. Where I am going the large browns consider them a delicacy.[Tongue] probably dependent upon the caterpillar I would guess.
[signature]
Apparently the Southern Utah Tent caterpillar has a blue stripe down it's side. You might tie a blue body and then put a stripe on it with a marker. Then add hackle wooly worm style.

[inline 1455161.jpg]
[signature]
[cool]I will be tying on similar to that but I have found some blue material for the body. I will be able to tie it up tomorrow when I get home.[cool]
[signature]
Here is my first attempt. I think the grixxly hackle might be too much. I am going to try with brown next time.
[signature]
Here is my final version of the tent caterpillar. Tied woolly worm style using pipe cleaners of all things. [cool]

[inline "tentcaterpillar - 400.jpg"]
[signature]