Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
150 foot Reds
We fished the 150 area S.E. of the Horseshoe yesterday and did very well on the Red Rock Cod (Vermillion Rockfish). Three of us got limits of 2 to 3 pound fish which is the perfect size for fileting. The hot ticket is to set up the ganion hooks well above the sinker. My first hook was 3 feet above the sinker and my second hook was 5 feet above that.The leader mono was 15 pound test and the #6 hooks were slipped onto 6 inch dropper loops. The sinker was 6 ounces. I fished with #20 pound and an 9 1/2 foot Loomis jig rod. Our bait was 4 inch anchovies and 4 inch sardines. The sportboats are thick out there now so the area is easy to find. Certain areas meter giant red blobs on the depth finders and that's where to drop on them and drift through a "bite".When they stop biting wind up and go back to the spot. Believe it or not the red blobs are millions of 2 inch boccacios because the sculpin we caught were choking full of the babies. Looks good for the future to get that population of "Slimeys" off the protection list.
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

Thanks for the great info. If anybody needs to know the skinny on catching these guys or many other mid to shallow water rockfish, for that matter, with a live bait rig, they'll be on their way with your post.

For the shallow water rockfish the two ganion is OK but for the really deep water....... I imagine fishin' becomes real work! ha ha

Was the boat or anybody using squid?

Thanks again,

JapanRon
[signature]