Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
casting and back fatigue
Does anyone else's back get really tired after a day on the river? I sometime even take a break every now and then to lay flat on the ground and let my back relax. But it will still get really tired. I am noticing it more with old age .... horrors!

What I am wondering is, is if this is a casting technique problem, or is it just that I am using muscles that have grown old, weak, and puny over winter?
[signature]
Absolutely, but I am old...[Wink] I use to think it was the current, or cooler, or balancing on rock...whatever, but basically using muscle I don't normally use. I find it hurst less if I do a lot of walking.
[signature]
I was thinking that it is just that it uses a different set of muscles. I use a lot of stairs, ski machine, and skiing in the winter, you would think the toning would stay. --- It used to when I was younger.[:/] Now if I sit down for five minutes, I can feel 15 different muscles deflate and go flat faster than a blowout on the freeway!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
just my .02... if you think about it skiing etc exercises the legs and arms shoulders to a point.. the arms only come up to just above shoulder correct.. casting your arm is up and moving back and forth in a limited arc (as FG puts it its like your are painting something over head.. ).. to me that is a completely different set of muscles .... and as is in any case it takes time for those muscles to tone up a bit.. .:-)

MacFly
[signature]
[#000000]I have friends that wear a backsupport belt when on the rivers and they are diehard all fishermen. I have a weight lifters support belt that I used for riding snowmobiles. I have not had much back aches from fishing so even when wearing it I could not notice a difference. I did dig it out the other day to take along on a nine day fishing trip for later this summer.... just in case.[/#000000]

Simms sells them these days. I think william josephs and Orvis do also. Maybe LL. Bean.
[signature]
The belt is a good idea, or I may have to take up yoga too! [shocked] [laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[Image: sad.gif]Unfortunately back problems don't improve with age. As my doctor said "you thought that you were entering the golden years - think again it is the rusty years". lol
[signature]
This is a good information? Thank you.
[signature]
It's but normal to feel tired quicker than normal when you are older, than when you were young. However, learning good casting techniques would help you to save up much more energy by ensuring that you make just one cast and get it right, other than swinging your arms couple of times just to get that perfect cast.

Casting a line should be fun, and with a little practice, you can easily master the art.

- First flick your arm backwards, to throw a small back cast.
- While the the line and or lure is still going backward, make a fast forward cast and flick your wrist a little, to ensure that you gain maximum speed on the line.
- End the cast with a sudden stop! This would ensure that your line gains momentum and goes just the way you like it - the farthest it can possibly go.
[signature]