Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure Advice
Hi everyone. Do you have a favorite lure that you use that works well for you. I dont have too many lures in my tackle box, and the ones I do have dont seem to work at all. Could you reccommend me a good brand of lure and which color to use. I'd really appreciate it. I'm probably going to be using this lure or lures off of a half day boat or the peir. Thanks![Smile]
[signature]

Hey there BFFG,

Some of the best info I've got is checking out stores like those we have here on BFT just to see what's out there. They are just a click away. For so cal fishing:

I guess you want specifics. My choices depend on the species I'm fishing for 75% of the time. Otherwise time of year, bait in the water, and what I've got!

Spoons- Croc's are good especially the mackerel pattern in green or deep purple.
Metal Jigs- Tady, Salas, Ironman, blue and white or blue and chrome plus others that work just as good or better sometimes.
Swimbaits- Kinda look like fish! Big Hammers, Fish Traps, Whams, Bams, Kalins as well as AA's and others. Channel Island Chovie seems to work on everything.
Lead heads- Lots of different makers but you'll need just two shaped heads: one that's trianglar with eyeballs and another they call a banana head which is usually painted white and looks like a blob of something. Remember these heads have to have a very wide hook gap to pin those squids on properly.

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks for the help JapanRon, I feel overwhelmed when I see the vast aray of lures they carry at fishing stores. You helped me narrow down my search. I'm going on a halfday boat out of Long Beach tomorrow, can you come or do you have to work?
[signature]
Hey there JapanRon can you tell me where I can pick up some Channel Island Chovie, I tried using google but only got about 5 results. Does Norms BFT carry them?
[signature]
[size 2]Colors I have always done good with. Blue and White, Green and White and silver ( barricuda ) all metal lures.[/size]

[size 2] For plastics same colors but rootbeer color and purple sparkly ones work good to on clear days[/size]
[signature]
thanks for the help[Smile]I have trouble choosing lures and I think the people at the stores just recommend the most expensive one to make more money.
[signature]
[cool] Hey there BFFG, always be weary of store recommendations!!!!! Just like you said, they will try to sell you the most expensive stuff that probably wont even work for the conditions that you are expecting. You can get alot more advice from the people right here on the BFT boards. Good luck and happy fishing.
[signature]
I totaly agree with you![Wink], Thats why most of my posts have to do with asking people advice. I know there are a lot of people out there with lots of fishing wisdom.[angelic] If I keep asking questions and advice, I think it will make me a better fisherman.[Smile]
[signature]

Hey there BFFG,

Turner's Outdoorsman signal hill store has a fair selection of plastic but a couple of the better places are Norm's on PCH and the store on Edinger and Bols Chica and one further south. You need to make some phone calls before you go and plan to hit at least two places.

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks for the advice JapanRon, we missed you here for a couple of days.[blush]
[signature]
maybe we could meet up at youngs or something and i'll show you all the hot colors!

joe
[signature]
ok, that sounds like a good idea, how about saturday at one, unless you sleep in really late.[Tongue]
[signature]
saturday at one sounds good man... i'll see you there!

joe
[signature]
crap dude Im so sorry.[Sad] I totally forgot.[:/] What are you doning today?
[signature]