Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of fish is this it was 14inches and 2 and a half pounds

[signature]
welcome to the site twillie... IM going to move this post to our freshwater forum in hopes that on of the anglers there can answer you question other than saying its a big one and its a pan fish.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
Wow! I am not sure, it definitly is a panfish and to me resembles a sunfish or blue gill type. I haven't seen one that nice so I am not sure. Our gills and similar type of fish don't quite get that size.

Welcome to the forum and please continue to share more with us. I hope someone can identify that for you.
[signature]
not to trip you out but that looks like a pirahna! did it have teeth?
[signature]
It looks kind of like a Tilapia . Curt G.
[signature]
Looks like a pacu
[signature]
That is a pacu it is a vegetarian cousin of the piranha and very tasty good job!
[signature]
Ya I'm not sure if it has teeth or not it's wraped up in the freezer it was caught in oral lake in wv.
[signature]
Looks like an piranha. here is a pic from amazon animals. Must have been a fish bought in a pet store then dumped. Hope it couldnt breed.
[signature]
That looks like a pacu. I used to have one in my fish tank, they get really big if they have enough room.
[signature]
Where did you catch it? If caught anywhere in the state of Idaho, I would think it was a pan fish.
[signature]
its a pacu alright,awesome catch.I had some in our pond,grow fast and people let them go.One dude kept his in 55gallon tank,said he had it for 20 years,fish could hardly turn around.I lost some big ones,my last one was hooked with a whole strawbery with just enough wieght to keep it down.I read on field and stream that a world record pacu was found dead after cold spell.52lbs ,old record in Ft.lauderdale was 44.I'm trying to get a pic from one a guy 40lb,I saw the pic,huge,plus I lost some of those myself,we fish this same lake were I live.Igot a small one way back when they were small,got him on bread.Some look different, I know there is also a silver one.This fish is called an underwater rocket,and the "freshwater permit".I know I guy who fell in love with one.He would ride his bike and feed him BK, he ate the pickles fries,we began to think he would go and swim naked with the pacu.I can only dream of one day catching her now that she's all grown up.
[signature]