Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venting on Cabelas
[cool][#0000ff]Anybody else had some recent "fun times" with Cabelas? Man, I can't see straight I am so torqued.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put in an order for some hooks in October of '09. Backordered. Cancelled the order early in '10. Got some elsewhere. Noticed they were back in the online catalog recently and reordered. Backordered again. In about 2 weeks, both orders show up at the store for pickup...the old order that had been cancelled and a partial order for the new order...with part of it backordered. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then the calls started...3 calls a day from the automatic telephone reminder service. Each time I would listen and then push the appropriate buttons on my phone to cancel any further reminder calls. But the calls kept coming...two or three a day...even after I picked up the order well over a week ago. Now after each call I go through the button pushing process and then push O to have them put me through to customer service. And each time I talk to somebody new who apologizes for the continuing calls and PROMISES they will stop. But the calls keep coming and coming and coming.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]AND THEN...a few days ago I tried to use my Cabelas Club card for an online purchase and it was declined. I figured it was a messup on the part of the online store since we keep our card paid off each month. A little later I tried to use the card again at Lowes. Again it was declined...in a line with a lot of people all shaking their heads and looking at me like I was some kind of deadbeat criminal. I used another card and went home to check it out. Seems that on my first attempt that day to use the card their bank ASSUMED it was a fraudulent transaction since it went to an offshore bank. So...they cancelled my card without asking or telling me anything. Oops. So Sorry. It will take a couple of weeks to get this straightened out...in our day and age of a couple of keystrokes to fix anything.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the things that really makes me go HMMMM is that I spend a sizeable amount with Cabelas, both in the store and online. They have the records. They also have the records of each of my complaint calls on the automatic phone calls. And each time they treat me like I am a nuisance call and "so sorry" and blow me off.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I reminded them that they actually have competition and that much of their competition actually has better prices on a lot of the merchandise I need. I suggested that the only reason I have stayed with them is for the "service" and if that goes away there is no reason for me to do any more business with them. The response? "Okay...is there anything else we can do for you today?" In other words..."Quit whining and get off the phone."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And you wouldn't believe what I have gone through over the past two years to try to get a working model of the electric ice auger. The first one had a broken handle but they didn't have a replacement model...until next year...so I just got a refund. The second year I bought a new one early...just to be sure. I didn't actually put it together until after the first of January...past the 90 return period. The battery charger didn't work. When I took it back I got a lot of grief about the OVER 90 days thing. And when they agreed I should be taken care of...you guessed it...they were out of the electric augers again for the year. I settled for upcharging to a gas model. Not what I wanted.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think I am changing my buying habits.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My buddy bought a new Pflueger President reel from Cabelas, when we were up at the Gorge something happened to it internally. When he took it back they would only give him 40% of the cost in store credit because it was used. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? How would he know there was something wrong with it if he didn't use it?
I avoid Cabelas as much as I can but sometimes they have good deals that I can't pass up.
Good luck on the phone calls Pat, lol.
[signature]
I have had trouble with the customer service also. Mine was on a magazine extension for my 870 12 ga. Purchased it in store but when I opened it up the spring was to short. Took it back and was treated more or less like a Liar/ criminal.
Needless to say my dollars go to Sportsmans or Fish Tech.
Sorry for your troubles Pat.
Pa
[signature]
Man that is ruff...I would be steamin' big time, specially for the embarrassment at the check out counter.
The bigger the company, the less friendly they become.
I know I have been buying more from on line "Specialty" shops lately.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]I've heard good things about Cabelas, but they're a bit out of my budget - both for merchandise and gas to get down there. Usually I go to Wal-Mart or Sportsman's Warehouse. Keep in mind, though, that I'm not serious into fishing. I do it for a side hobby for fun, and so I don't mind if I get cheap "junk" for equipment. I sometimes don't tie my knots right and lose lures anyway...might as well not pay too much for them! Wink

The only thing I've bought at Cabelas is wool "glomits" (gloves with fingers chopped off, but a mitten 'flap' to cover them). When I first got them, I only bought them because they were the cheapest ($15/pair) PURE wool gloves ANYWHERE on the internet. Of course, they only had man's size, so I just got "small" (which is still too big for me).
Of course, then they started mailing me their catalog, and while browsing it for no good reason, saw that they had WOMEN size gloves! So I bought 2 pair, just in case...figured if I wore out one pair, I'd have a back-up. Then my sister wanted some, since I keep saying how WONDERFUL they are (and they are!). Then I couldn't find women's size again... so I just gave her my small-man ones, and still have my 2 women sizes.
One pair I use for fishing in the cold (so they can get dirty and I won't care), and the other pair I use for "every day" type stuff.
[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I suspect that we have similar buying patterns on a lot of the "specialty" stuff we buy online. It is impossible to find many of the lure making or fly tying materials we need at a "normal" retail outlet so we have to shop online and take our chances. Fortunately, a lot of companies have a reasonable return policy but it is a pain in the keester to return a $2 item for a refund...paying postage both ways. For bigger stuff...you betcha. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I maintain a suppliers list for the items I use most often and keep track of who charges what prices. That way I can combine orders to get maximum value...or have another source if my first choice is out of stock...or whatever. Increasingly Cabelas is the highest price on the stuff they don't carry in the store. In some cases they are several cents a hook more expensive than another source that also delivers more quickly and charges less shipping.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DUH?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've had some horrible customer service from Cabela's as well. I had to special order a youth sized Remington rifle for my 12 year old. I was given a order number and told to contact the Lehi store directly and "just give them the number and they'll be glad to help you out." It took me 3 weeks and countless phone calls to ever speak with a live person.

After the 2nd week, I contacted the main customer service number and was told I then needed to give them my credit card number in order to "hold the product since it is a special order." So I did. I explained that I could never get in touch with anyone at the store. I was told to keep trying.

Even after I spoke to someone live, he couldn't help me because he had no way to access my order number. I finally told the guy on the phone that I was ready to go to Sportsman's Warehouse. He said pretty much the same thing, "Sorry to hear that you are getting the run around. Can I help you with anything else today?"

I finally got a phone call from someone who told me that the rifle was in and I only had a week to pick it up. I live in Heber so it's not the most convenient place to go.

Anymore, I only shop at Cabela's, online or otherwise, if I have to. I have been checking out Bass Proshops more frequently.
[signature]
Bad thing is having to pay POSTAGE plus STATE TAX. I am still Confused on Orvis. When I asked why I have to pay state tax to a company that is no longer here, they reply, because we were?????[crazy]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Bad thing is having to pay POSTAGE plus STATE TAX. I am still Confused on Orvis. When I asked why I have to pay state tax to a company that is no longer here, they reply, because we were?????[crazy][/quote]
ME TOO! I've asked Orvis the same thing, and they don't have a straight answer other than they were required to collect it before, and now still do. I wonder if they even pay it?

As for Cabelas, I now always look to Bass Pro first, and only order from Cabelas if BP or someone else I like doesn't have it. I've been into the Lehi Cabelas a few times, but found it wasn't even worth taking the exit, so my Cabelas returns are through the mail, paying the postage.
[signature]
Yep Ive run into the same issues TD, I order a Echo fly rod they had on back order waited literally 3 months before I started getting the same calls. Went to the store to pick it ... nope it was no were to be found. They said I could place another order for it but really... another 3 months or should I say 6 in total no thx.

I will admit I cruise there Bargin Cave online sometimes they have good deals I picked up a Winter Spider brand jacket for 80 bucks it retailed for 400.00. but I dont think I ever step in the store again unless its to pick something up.
[signature]
This is why 99% of my purchases come from anglers den in Roy. If I have a problem with something they make it right the first time, even on speciality items I order. That and their customer service is tops, can't be beat. Yea there prices might be a little higher, but because of them always taking the time out of the day to make sure what I get is what I want and everything is right I will continue to go there
[signature]
+1
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are actually two good points you make here. First, it is good business to shop locally, whenever possible. Second, it is better to pay a little bit more than you want to...than not quite enough. Never a good excuse for poor quality or poor service...and plenty of good reasons to spend your money where you can buy with confidence.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The unfortunate thing is that smaller locally owned outlets cannot possibly stock all items that any potential customer might potentially want. They have to make the decisions on what is going to turn over and make them a profit. Even Cabelas and other large outlets can't carry everything that every customer wants. That's why those of us who tie flies, build rods and make lures usually have to buy online for a lot of our supplies. And that is where we leave ourselves open to quality problems and poor customer service.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The really Sad thing is that virtually every time I have brought up my frustration with Cabelas policies and procedures I get little more than shrugged shoulders. When I threaten to quit spending my (considerable) annual purchases with them...same thing. Ho hum. We can do without you. We have plenty of customers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good case in point. On the double order foulup I mentioned at the beginning of my rant...I eventually received a total of 18 packages of 25 hooks. The total volume would have fit in a very small box or a large envelope. Instead, it was spread out into 4 separate boxes...each over a cubic foot in size...with costly packing materials to keep them from rattling around inside. I ain't no dummy (most of the time). I know that stuff is expensive and that ultimately I am paying for it in terms of higher prices. Plus...I don't need more cardboard to recycle.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And then some folks wonder why I dont shop there. For me and my needs, their fishing department sucks.
[signature]
then when you break a rod the calls keep coming and coming to. i think they got their warrnty just to keep you coming back lol's reason i say this is i had wader that the seems start failing and they gave gift card in the amount which is good but you still got to buy stuff even if you don't want to.
[signature]
I've been buying from Cabelas for years but do to the sales tax and shipping rates I'm shopping on line in other places more and more. I have never had a problem with returning anything to Cabelas for a refund or exchange. I guess we have to help them (Cabelas) pay for the new trucks they are giving away. I see comments on here about Sportsman's Warehouse but I'm not a big fan of theirs due to out of stock stuff. We went to Fish Tec once last winter and was not impressed at all. When I asked the Big Guy you see on Roughing It Outdoors all the time about several different lures, he didn't know if they carried them or not, another salesmen had to jump in twice and show me where they were. I won't be back. If you watch on line alot of times for the specials etc. you can get free shipping as well. Bought a new Ice tent and a gas auger last winter on line with no tax or shipping fee. I also just bought a New Yahmaha 3000 generator on line a couple weeks ago, no tax and free shipping saved a couple hundred bucks from buying it here, and it was delivered within a week.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You got it right. It pays to shop. That has been one of the side benefits of becoming more discouraged with Cabelas...and others. I have fired up my search engine and gone ashopping. It is amazing just how many suppliers there are out there...and how much better the pricing is on some of the stuff I was (formerly) getting from my longtime sources.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In my former life (working) I operated a small chain of garden centers in southern California. I learned several good lessons from the old guy that owned the stores. One was that you have to make it easy for people to buy...not complicate the buying process. Second was that THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT...no matter how obnoxious, stupid or larcenous. Third was that bad news travels much faster than good news. Customers don't always toot your horn when they are pleased but if they are unhappy they can cost you a lot of business with bad publicity...and they will. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried to maintain these standards in my own personal dealings since, and feel like I have a right to expect them from the companies I patronize. Sadly, it seems like the words CUSTOMER SERVICE are merely archaic words any more. The true meaning has vanished along with hand crank cash registers and typewriters.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
So true TD.[fishin]
[signature]
I've never had a problem with Bass Pro. Even bought a Redhead brand bow and have never shot one better.
[signature]