Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Installation
Installation of the battery & box - After connecting the terminals initially I found that the connection wasn't as good as I would have liked so I cut off the standard crimped terminal connections. Removed the original crimping material and added a piece of shrink sleeve. Crimped and soldered the wires in place and then used the shrink sleeve to finish it off.
[Image: 2i6yngp.jpg]
It's suggested that a 3 amp inline fuse connector be attached to the battery but the only one that is readily available is a 5 amp connector. I bought the 5 amp connector from local Auto Spares here in Richards Bay and then went to a Electrical supplier and bought a 3 amp fuse.
The only hassle is that the 3 amp fuse is smaller than the 5 amp and the spring that's supplied doesn't hold the fuse snuggly resulting in a bad connection. What I ended up doing was opening the fitting and stretching the spring to take up the slack, the fuse now sits nice and tight.
[Image: 14jn9yo.jpg]
The long-life battery is much bigger than the standard 12V batteries, I just wish I knew before I bought them just how much bigger... lol.
It was a mission trying to find a waterproof container just the right size.
[Image: 2yudc7m.jpg]
Found this excellent little waterproof box at one of the local Plastic Wholesalers. It's got a brilliant waterproof seal and it's not thin, crappy plastic.
[Image: 1kxf7.jpg]
Battery box is in, silicone is drying.
[Image: fy0jeh.jpg]
Battery fits nicely, once all the cables are in I'll stop the battery from moving around with rubber or sponge.
[Image: j7x1c9.jpg]
Ample space to load Safety equipment, the anchor, lures or whatever past the battery box.
[Image: 35d5mbt.jpg]
Cover for the Battery box - The hole is just big enough to get the RS-232 PC/Laptop Connector through.
[Image: 6i9wf4.jpg]
Two thick rubber grommets, it's overkill but I want to make sure I have a watertight seal.
[Image: s2xh5h.jpg]
Sealed with lots of Marine Silicone.
[Image: s6mvyw.jpg]
[Image: 1zycxzd.jpg]
[Image: v2tda9.jpg]
Found my wife’s Taebo mat and cut a piece off for the battery supports... lol.
Siliconed them into place adding to the snug fit.
[Image: 2dl87ed.jpg]
Battery fits in really snug.
[Image: 5k10fm.jpg]
I'll also add a piece to the lid so that if I flip the battery won't move at all.
[Image: 15qcinn.jpg]
[signature]