Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miami/Haulover Report - Hot Dolphin Action
Summer type weather continues to be our norm. A warm water temperature has lots of dolphin (mahi-mahi) roaming around in large schools. Once again today, we left my customer's dock aboard his boat at a leisurely 9:15 AM. Light variable winds made the ride to Government Cut a fast and pleasant one. Catching live bait required quite a bit of time and searching. We put our first bait in the water at 12:15 PM. Starting in 85' to the south of the Cuban Hole, we slow trolled herring offshore to 750' with no action. I decided to run back inshore to the edge and start over. Half way in I spotted some heavy bird action. It was the start of a hetic 3 hours. A school of dolphin in the 5-8# class kept us busy for a while. Then, we chased birds that were working on jumping dolphin (mahi-mahi) and got no action. At about 86th street, we moved into the blue/green edge in 700' where we found lots of grass and debris that made conditions look very good. Then we spotted it. A wooden pallet with dolphin jumping around it. It was fast and furious action with 4-8# fish until the sun set. We kept some and we released some and enjoyed another great day of fishing off Miami Beach.<br><br>Captain Dave Kostyo<br>Knot Nancy Fishing Charters<br>www.rnfl.com/knotnancy<br>nkostyo@bellsouth.net<br><br>