Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying Flies
It would help me get a well shaped head on the opposite side and the bottom of the fly when I trim it.

Size 32! Wow that's tiny. Tying anything under 20 has always seemed tiny to me, that's crazy.
[signature]
Go nuts with the blue! Apparently, blue is the last color to disappear in the water column. My dad's friend Buddy has been going gung-ho on blue with a lot of his flies, got my dad on that boat, and praise the fjord, I have seen the (blue) light!
[signature]
Always wondered how the fish even find those tiny flies, but my latest luck has been with tincy ice jigs, so who's to say. Still sticks a lip I guess! (I actually tried my fly rod last night!)

I'm sure ya'll're located all over the place, but if I can pitch a plug - we have a GREAT fly shop up here in Cache Valley. You can't miss it as you drive into the town of Logan (ok, so it's a City, but being from Chicago...) on the East side (right) as you're heading north.

I know some of the owners, no vested interest, but I know they put a lot into the store.
[center][url "http://www.roundrocks.com/"]Roundrocks[/url]
[/center]
There's a little fishing store up by Hyde Park - Custom Sports - and I've been impressed by their collection of fly-tying bits and pieces. A whole wall of "fluffy stuff". I'm sure there's plenty of other sources. Just thought I'd share.

Now I'm thinking I need to stop by and see about putting together a "kit". Thanks for the great info one and all.
[quote joshomaru]Go nuts with the blue! Apparently, blue is the last color to disappear in the water column. My dad's friend Buddy has been going gung-ho on blue with a lot of his flies, got my dad on that boat, and praise the fjord, I have seen the (blue) light![/quote]

Actually I believe it is Purple/violet, but they don't disappear, they turn black or loose all color, with red being first.
That is why purple is my favorite.

Buddy Knight is the BLUES man for sure, even blue Prince Nymphs. He is my hero!!!
[signature]
It's funny I was just reading an article about UV painted fishing lures during my lunch break tonight and it was talking about the order in which colors lose their color. Apparently UV light can be seen hundreds of feet down. I have some UV powder paint for jig heads, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm wondering if the walleye will dig it.

Coyote, I live in Cache and have definitely spent a lot of money at Roundrocks and Custom Sports. I think Roundrocks definitely has a better selection after they changed things up a year or two ago. On a side note, I was just in Jackson a couple of weeks ago and stopped by Jack Dennis' store. They had some really cool dubbing. I'm loving the caddis worms I made up with it.
[signature]
FG- Buddy is a stud. He turns out little pieces of art work that catches fish! He sure is a funny dude, too.

Gstott, have you met Jack Dennis? He's a pretty cool old cat. His book on western entamology was my bible. He ties some really great stuff, too. Of you get the chance to meet him and pick his brain, you'll never forget it!
[signature]
I haven't met him, but I bet that would be pretty awesome. I always really liked Gary Lafontaine, too. He came up with some really unique patterns, and he was pretty entertaining too. It was pretty Sad when he go sick. I have an autographed copy of his book " Caddisflies" and you can tell how shaky he must have been from the look of his signature. It's kind of heartbreaking to look at.
[signature]
Did he help write western hatches, or write the forward? He was one of those rock stars of the vice, too.
Look at it this way: Gary didn't let circumstance stop him from sharing his knowledge of his passion. We should all live that way.
Fly fisherman don't get rich from fly fishing. Even your big name people are two paychecks from foreclosure. Trout bums that have a rep and name are still trout bums. Princes of the paupers.
Kind of like musicians. The best players you know don't live off their talent. Some folk are lucky enough to "make it," but most do it just because they love it.
wow, I get all tangent-y late at night......
[signature]
I can't remember how he was involved with that book, but it's definitely a classic.

It's definitely true about trout bums and musicians. The way I look at it now though is that if your art becomes a career, it becomes a job and kind of takes it down a notch. I think that when you have to work a day job that you really appreciate getting away from it to enjoy what you love all the more.
[signature]
My take on it, Gary LaFontaine was a teacher, scientist, who lived and breathed fish. He would put on scuba gear to watch fish feeding habits.
A master at fly fishing in every sense of the word. He probably even taught Jack a thing or two.

Now I am not putting down Jack, but he is a salesmen and promoter that can catch fish.
He has some great classes on casting, and tying.

He will give you information IF he wants to, but he is human and has lost it with some people I know.

I too have learned allot from Jack, but gone about as far as I can there, Gary on the other hand, I will never understand all that he has to offer...

[Image: IMG_0064_2.jpg]

Oh, and I am on one of his videos with other tiers...[Wink][cool]
[signature]