Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are these edible? ;)
Well, went out to Teton Valley last sat without my poles but came home with a pretty good catch. I usually figure they are about 3 weeks behind Heise. Still a few bushes full of green berries, but we eventually started finding them. Found a few patches of huckleberries where you could sit down on the ground and pick full bushes on every side. For three of us at 2.5 hours, I think we did very well.
[signature]
Nice, what type of lures did you catch them on ???
[signature]
Nope!! Definitely not edible! Very dangerous. Bring 'em by, and I'll dispose of them for ya' Bardic. [Wink]
[signature]
Those would look great in some waffles or pancakes... mmmmmm....[Smile]
[signature]
Are they all huckleberries? If so most don't look ripe yet. Did you taste many before picking? They need to be bluish for a week or 2 before they're actually ripe. The other way to tell if each berry is ripe is to gentle pull ( same with blackberries). If they don't pull off with minimal pressure leave them as they're not ripe yet even if they look it. I don't think they ripen much off the vine if picked too soon.
[signature]
Here's how I like them. Ripe and picked by the kids[Smile] not me.
[signature]
Yeah, I do think we were a little early for Teton Valley. The cold spring has pushed everything back this year,although Heise seems to have had a good long season, hopefully Teton will be the same.

None of the dwarf huckleberries had any berries, and while a few plants that were in the sun had darker berries, the biggest patches were mostly red. But I quite like them when they are sour, so I figure we'll eat these and go back for more Smile

I can't rememeber ever seeing every berry as dark as your picture, I assume they would all be picked long before that where I go.
[signature]
Looks like you found yourself some good carp bait.
[signature]
That berry patch was so big and far from civilization that they only picked the ripest berries. Would take a week of picking to put a dent in it. Kind of a bummer if you have no choice but to pick before peak or none will be left. That's why my lips are sealed to the location.
[signature]
Picking before they're ripe is one reason there are none left.
[signature]
Went back again yesterday. Still some bushes full of green ones, some nice purple and reddish ones, and whole bushes were ripe but shriveled (either frost or lack of water I would guess). I can't tell if we are still at the middle of the season up there or nearing the end, but the cold nights may cause some berries to never ripen fully. And once they started to shrivel they just didn't have that huckleberry flavor like a nice juicy one.

So I'm torn. The ones we brought back this time are excellent, sweet and juicy and a little tart. And we had good ripe ones last time too, just a few of the big patches were on the redder side but still good. If I had known I was coming back and had saved the GPS coods I probably would have left the big patch, but they might have just as easily gone to waste by the time I made it back.
[signature]
They look like choke cherries
[signature]