Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip to Catalina on the Victory

I took the 3/4 day open-party boat Victory to Catalina today. George ran the boat with Cliff at the grill and Karl decking.

Lots of good guys on the boat although the fishing was slow. 1 yellowtail, a few barracuda, sheepshead and calicos were caught. Windy, water around 65 degrees and the color still a dirty green. We started a little south of Bird Rock and worked our way toward the west end and found lots of sheltered areas.

We were the only 3/4 day boat to go out today!

Still better than the local 1/2 boat scene.

Going on a different boat tomorrow but don't expect any better fishing.

JapanRon
[signature]
WOw,

What is going on out there??? The swell is up outside and it's windy and s#!@* conditions in our own backyards!!! I wish it was WFO yellowtail and yellowfin in 3/4 day range!![Sad] Ohh well, time to start slaying the black smith perch again. 10 at a time, the only way to catch them![pirate]

187 on Perch and DAVIS!

Aaron
[signature]
the swell is up!?!?! no way! on sunday it was like glass. but i guess the swell can pick up in hours!

how come the victory was the only boat to go out???

BLACKSMITH PERCH!!! atta Kid!! now thats my kind of fishin'[laugh][laugh][laugh]

workin the monte on saturday hope the local fishing is pretty decent..we'll probably fish rockfish or something.

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

Yea, it's been pretty snotty in the Channel the last few days especially going but also coming back too. Yesterday, it was foggy to add to the mess but it started to clear 1/2 way out.

On the why the only boat out, all I can say is somebody is reading the counts! ha ha The yellowtail dream may be close to done at Clemente and Catalina even though I don't want to believe it! There'll be action on the bigger yellows up north in a month or so anyway.... right?!

Not even I will go out on a local 1/2 ride this last week. Monte Carlo is a nice boat and I know a few regulars on it. Sculpin, Red Snappers and a few of this and that should fill bags if you're lucky. 1/2 day boats have been going out with 7 and 8 people. Doh!!!!!!

Let's hope for the best and get a wide-open bite to prove me wrong. I'm going out next Tuesday/Wednesday whatever anyway. ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
maybe the yellows are just in hiding.... if you shoot over to the backside and fish church rock, and around that area, you'll probably hook up into some big tails. we've done good over there.

we got a BIG sand bass on sunday at the island.

joe
[signature]
well...fishing was pretty darn good locally for the rockfish. we did real good one the red snappers. we got about 16 or so lings and 100 something rock fish...oh ya.... around 80 reds.

fished yellowtail in the afternoon in an undisclosed area[Wink][Wink] because we have spotted them there a lot recently. the conditions were just all weird though, so we couldnt get anything to bite.

overall, we had a decent day of fishing.

it was foggy all day, and the wind picked up a little bit in the afternoon.

joe
[signature]