Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Private Property(Canals)
Does anyone here own private property backed up to water(ie. canals, ditches, lakes, ponds) The reason I ask is not to ask permission, but to ask how you feel about people hunting these grounds on or near your property.

I went searching for some places to hunt with my dog, who needs training, and I figured a low flow canal would be a good starting point. i got a tip from a guy to hunt this spot, but I noticed homes too close to shoot next to. So, I went ahead and started knocking on doors and asking them how they felt about it and then for permission. Turns out, the property line is usually from mid-canal out and the road on it is the easement for Idaho power and such. They were happy to let me pick the fish out as the canal dries , but no hunting. Also I got some goose fields out of it, but no hunting the canals.

So, I don't have a question about it so much, as a feeling about it. I appreciate that it is their property and that I should ask permission to hunt it, but It is so hard to find birds without running into other people at WMA's or getting shot at. Also it seems so much property is private, unless your hunting some portions of the rivers, but that means you have to have a boat and dog. I have a small boat and a non-hunting dog that I don't feel comfy taking on the rivers when water is low and cold. Also the new rule is no upland game from a boat in Idaho.

I guess this is more of a cry for help! How do I hunt in Idaho with no land or permission, no boat or dog, and value my life enough to not want to hunt WMA's or maybe 2 Access Yes! properties?

Are there any pay per bird hunting areas near Boise(ish)? or anything like it? Something affordable? Or a site that has huntable property listed?
[signature]