Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fly Line Help
I need some new line i am thinking cause my old mastery series is old, cracked, and not in good shape anymore! I think i want to get the SA Sharkskin but i am not completely sure. What do you fellow anglers suggest? I fish quite a bit and want floating line, I have a Sage VXP 8'6" #4, so i dont know if i should line up or what? Let me know please. Thanks
[signature]
SA Sharkskin is good line has it pros & cons but unless you can get a good deal on it 100 bucks is a bit pricey IMO.

In August I just pick up a spool of Rio gold, and I like the Rio gold better. Honestly I dont think I could really tell the difference between them as far as casting goes. But didnt miss the zipping and occasional burns either.

I haven't tried SA's textured lines I hear good thing about them but there almost the same price as the Rios lines....

Id save your self some $$$ and go with Rio Gold or even Rio Grand.

Oh and keep old line for the winter [Wink]
[signature]
I am looking at $55 for the SA Sharskin in #5 which would be a lining up one weight, which usually i think is best. Im tempted to buy it cause that seems pretty good but i will look into the Rio line for sure
[signature]
$55. for SA? Be sure it isn't just you sure that isn't Shark Skin running line.
Also, the TROUT taper is pretty true to rod size, but the GPX is one half size larger at the head. This does make for nice casting.

I have several different lines including Selective Trout, Gold, Accelerator, Ridgeline, Wulff, Windcutter II, but I hardly ever use them.

There is nothing like Shark Skin. It will add distance to your cast for sure.

Cons, I fished it every day for a week this summer. Long days too. I did end up with a nice slice across my stripping finger. Would I get rid of it now...Heck no, I just wear a finger from a glove. The line is that wonderful.
Most lines only have a year or so life, but Shark Skin really out lives them.

Now, on another note and a little less than that $100. price, is another line by SA called TEXTURED. It has dimples that help it float like a cork. Worth a look at also.

Finally, IF you are talking a FOUR WEIGHT, and want to go with SS, I really recommend NOT over lining it. I have the TROUT SS in a 4 wt. and it is perfect on my TL which is a tip flex fast rod, but also perfect on my Bamboo.
[signature]