Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fish lake
any news on the fish lake just curious love to fish there but haven't heard if its even capped yet thanks
[signature]
[quote icefsher1]any news on the fish lake just curious love to fish there but haven't heard if its even capped yet thanks[/quote]

Would love to know that, myself. Planning on making a trip down there toward the end of the month but don't want to waste the time or money if it's not safe.
[signature]
Might be pushing it... Usually caps around the 1st of the year.
[signature]
[quote orvis1]Might be pushing it... Usually caps around the 1st of the year.[/quote]

Thanks orvis. Hopefully we'll be able to get down there and try it this season. Appreciate the insight!
[signature]
Its always a iffy situation this time of year. We have ice fished the south end as early as the 14th of Dec. while standing on a couple inches of glass ice. And there have been years when only the south end is ready until well after the first of the year.. Because of its depth, location, and wind conditions,, its anyones guess year to year as to when FL will cap,,,, and stay capped..
[signature]
damnit! I thought about this yesterday. I wish I would have posted it. I really, really, really, wanted to be the first person to post the "is fish lake iced over yet" post of the year. I missed it.

Like coldfooter said -- if you go prior to the 1st of the year, you're taking a big chance. And, even some years it still isn't frozen by January 1.
[signature]
[laugh] hey I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this thread, but being you didnt,, I did, lol.. We see this question asked year after year,, and often time and time each year, so next time it crops up its all yours. [Wink]
[signature]
I was on the overlook a week and a half ago and it was mostly wide open except for the shallow bays and marinas. And it really has not been cold enough to do anything yet. Wait til after the first!
[signature]
hey Jim if that was a week and a half ago. i would put money on the there being fishable ice there right now.. most years fish lake and E-Lake frost over about the same time.. and the very low temps at night the last week and lack of wind i would bet it's been making ice. [sly]
once it starts it go fast.. the whole lake can cap in one night.
[signature]
Well, that was on the 4th. That was the last day I hunted elk up there...have not been back since.

And I know you're braver than I am on first ice. So let me know how it is! lol!
[signature]
I was up there two years ago on dec. 28th and there was white caps on the lake. About 5 days later i got a call from a friend that said he was fishing 3 inches of ice off of twin creeks. Mtn lakes are hard to predict, a lake like that could be safe mid december or not safe in late january....to be safe call the lodge 6381000
[signature]
i agree 100% call the lodge first before making the trip down.. but looking at the wether station right there at fish lakei the temps are looking realy good for ice making. the last 3 days the high was 30. but the lows at night have been in the teens and lower.. as long as the wind is not blowing to much there should be a good cap on there soon.. [laugh]
[signature]
thanks for the info can't wait to get done there love that places perch, trout and a chance to catch a big laker who wouldn't love it good luck to all maybe we'll see ya out on the ice somewhere [fishin]
[signature]
I just called the lodge. They told me the lake has not capped yet and that the more shallow sections of the lake have a thin layer. They said that if the winds continue to be mild, the lake will freeze and be safe to fish on in a couple weeks.
[signature]