Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So my dog...
Brought a trout home yesterday that my Lab decided looked too delicious to resist. Before I knew it he stole the fish out of my bucket and helped himself to a large part of the flesh before I ended the fiasco. The trout was out of Smith and Moorehouse and was caught yesterday.

Should I be concerned about him getting Salmon Poisoning? I searched quite a bit on Google and couldn't find any cases of canid salmonoid poisoning in Utah. I know it is a very common illness in the northwest. I contacted an emergency vet last night and the vet tech I talked to was severely uniformed. I knew more than she did of the condition [:/]. I'm going to contact our family vet when she's in on Tuesday. Has anyone heard of salmonoid poisoning from Utah stocked trout? My dog is like our first born!
[signature]
I wouldnt be to concerened my lab has eaten several trout and carp and she has been fine i would be more worried about the bones than the meat I decided not to take her fishing with me anymore so she wont steal my fish but dogs eat crap and dont get sick so i dont think a fish would hurt just my opinion.
[signature]
Any other dog-maybe. But not a lab. They are notorious garbage guts. Your pooch has probably already pooped out everything anyway.
[signature]
Spoke with family vet and she said that a dog contracting the disease in Utah is virtually unheard of due to Utah lacking the snails that carry the parasite. *WHEW*! Thanks for the other posts, y'all kept my nerves in check until the vet got a hold of us.

And for those who are not aware. Canine's should NEVER eat wild RAW salmonid of any sorts from the Pacific Northwest. The wild salmonoids feed on snails that carry a parasite that is deadly to canines (does not affect many other species of mammal). The parasitic disease manifests itself within 4-5 days and an untreated canine will surely expire within 14 days.
[signature]
I used to live in Sacramento (12 years ago). Salmon and Steelhead fishing is about all I did. My German Shep. love to eat Salmon and steelhead. My Vet told me back then that it was OK so long as I was only giving her the flesh. Said the problem was in the Kidney organ in the body cavity.(that black stuff we scrap out along the spine.)
She never got sick from it and lived to be a very old dog.
[signature]
Next time cook a fillet for your dog so your lab won't feel left out,how would you feel if everyone had fish but you.Remember, your dog is a part of your familly.[unimpressed]
[signature]
People in Alaska feed their dogs salmon probably more than they feed them store bought food. So maybe part of it has to do with what type of fish and where the fish came from.
[signature]
Not sure how true it is, but there is an old story that the Inuit feed raw Salmon to their puppies. The ones who survived developed a natural immunity to the parasite and they were good to go.

Here's a link on the disease for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_poisoning_disease
[signature]
That's good to know. I've seen the warning signs up in Idaho, but I think they did specify entrails. I know I was a little worried when my {stupid} pup stole my 16" rainbow. Luckily just found her tossing it in the snow, not snacking down (yet anyway!).

But she's typically out to "get" anything she can off the cutting table. I'm sure a mouthful of rib bones probably wouldn't do her any good. But she is part lab, so . . .

I have shared parts of salmon with the kitties. They likes fishes! Figure I'm gonna scrape out the 'grey', doesn't mean it has to go to waste. Probably don't need the salt, but . . .
my labs have ate many. never had any issues....
[signature]
Dog food manufacturers use salmon as a primary ingredient for dogs which may have allergies. I use to feed my dog that, don't think salmon is a big deal down here but I'm no veterinarian.
[signature]