Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds
Spent yesterday morning drifting for red rock cod on the east slope of the Horseshoe over a spot known as the "150". We caught limits before 11:00AM. Most all the sportboats were there but fishing about a mile away. I easily oufished my two buddies because they wouldn't copy what I was doing. I used a 2 hook set-up with the distance between the hooks about 4 feet apart. The bottom hook was about 4 feet above a 4 ounce sinker. The hooks were #2 Octopus and tied onto #15 pound leader. My running line was #25 pound test. The reason I placed the hooks so far off the bottom was to keep away from the pesky ling cod.The best bait was small live anchovies. My buddies caught the lings every single drop because their baits were close to, or dragging the bottom. They were all 23 1/2 inches long, 1/2 inch short of keepers. Actually my buddy anglers did not have long enough rods. Mine was a 9'6" Loomis. I fileted all thirty of them and we divided the take. I fry them in straight butter for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are not wasted and more than that....greatly appreciated!
[signature]
[size 2]Great post George[Wink] Keep em coming![sly][/size]
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

Sounds like you had a great time. I don't keep fish so I'm ignoring the fish for the table and having a ball catching those pesky lings. A 23 99/100 inch ling is really fun to catch on freshwater bass gear, especially when they are found in really comparitively shallow water. I fished and caught a legal ling after a whole bunch of shorts. All fun! Shorts returned safely to the water. Fished north of Rocky Point in front of the single stack power plant.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey George,

When are you going to let us come on your boat????[Wink] Hahaha

We might really deplete the species then!

Aaron
[signature]