Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 01-28-12
Ira, Randy and I fished Fish Lake yesterday. We parked at Doctor Creek and hiked over to the east side.

Ira was going for macks so he started off in 94 feet of water. He never moved all day. He landed a 22" mack and lost a larger one. Occasionally, he would catch a rainbow or splake to add a little interest to his day.

Randy and I moved on and set up in 65' of water. For a good portion of the day, we both fished a rod on the bottom for macks (no luck for either of us) and fished another rod for splake and rainbows. Randy caught 15, which included one pup mack. I caught around a dozen, which were all splake except for 11 of them (assuming I caught a total of 12). Slow catching for Ira and me for Fish Lake.

Although I fished water as shallow as 12' I never caught a perch. Beautiful weather and great company.
[signature]
Hello. Long-time lurker... Went to Fishlake yesterday as well. Very nice weather. We went deep as well for the lakers. Caught 1 good one as well as a couple of pups. Several other members in our group stayed shallow and caught plenty of perch and bows.
Also saw the man up to his armpits through the ice in front of the lodge. EMS/ Search and rescue was just heading out as we drove by. He was gone and ambulance was just hitting the road when we came back through.
[signature]
I heard in a different post about something happening at Fish Lake that required emergency services. Glad it wasn't one of you guys that needed it. Too bad the catching wasn't better. Wonder where all the perch went to?
[signature]
An ambulance passed us (headed away from Fish Lake) a couple of miles before we reached Fish Lake. On another thread it was reported that the perch fishing was red hot, so we were just not in the right place. I just would have liked to have caught a couple for bait.
[signature]
We watched Search and rescue pull the guy off the ice.The north end was open water Friday night and Saturday morning 2 guys tried to take 2 snowmobile's across the ice that formed Friday night. The guy that didn't go in was able to get the guy out of the water but not off the ice and had to go for help.We watched Search and Rescue load the guy in the ambulance and start working on him.According to the lodge he wasn't doing so hot when they headed to the hospital but had recovered enough that he knew his name when they arrived at the hospital.

Fishing wise the perch where red HOT! After letting the kids catch 100+ perch the adults decided (minus the wife's and kids) to go across the lake for something a little bigger.It was pretty slow, we only iced 10 fish or so, a mix of rainbows and splake, no macks landed.I broke off a good fish on the bottom and brother lost a good one too.

Sunday morning we stuck close to the lodge and ended up icing a dozen decent rainbows and splake in a 1 1\2 hours and had to leave.

Also FYI 300 yards from Marina and 150 yards from shore there is a soft spot .My buddy put his leg threw the ice and had to be drug back onto solid ice.

Beautiful weather all weekend!
[signature]
Brittman-I didn't see any snowmobiles on the ice near that guy... Does that mean the sleds went in? I saw a flashlight right near the edge of the new ice, about 20 yards from the guy that was up to his armpits. Pretty scary!!!
[signature]
Out of curiosity berklyimx, what what's the size of the good laker you caught? I fished fish lake for four days last week and didn't catch anything with a any size. I haven't seen any posts of decent fish coming out of fish lake recently and it has me worried that it is declining. Im not trying to "call you out" I'm just curious. Thanks.
[signature]
This one was 21#. I Caught 2 last year 12 and 15. I think there are still a few in there.
[signature]
PS....I put her (and the others) back.
[signature]
So how thick is the ice? We are headed there next week and I don't want to end up like the guy who fell through. Also did you see any four wheelers on the south side? Any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
I didn't measure it, but I would estimate it was about a foot to 16" thick on the south end where we were. Yes, there were four wheelers on the ice. They had a definite trail that they were following across to the east side.
[signature]
Good to hear you guys got a few, too bad no big ones were caught. How far was the walk from the car to the spot you fished?
[signature]
Not sure how far we walked, but I would estimate 1/2 mile each way (so not too bad).
[signature]
Yeah a snowmobile went in.According to the lodge there where 2 guys on snowmobiles.
[signature]
Hopefully the guy is ok. I think people should be fined when this happens. I get that they obviously didn't try to do this, but at least do your homework on the lake, especially in a year like this. That has to be hard on the lake having snowmobiles sunk in it.
[signature]
kkay, I'd stay away from the north end (Lodge to Bowery and beyond). That end of the lake has been freezing over at night and opening back up in the day time when it's windy. The south end has been solidly frozen for some time now and as Kent said, it's plenty thick. We had about 12" between Lakeside and the Lodge saturday.
[signature]
THANKS FOR PUTTIN' EM' BACK! Wish more folks would love em' and leave em'. Fine fish sir, we are heading down on Thursday. What was working for you if you dont mind me asking?
Do you mean the Marina just South of twin Creeks? We are staying at Mackinaw and I would rather not drown . Guess I better pack my spikes and pfd.
[signature]
It's a secret...... If I told you I would have to kill you ;-). Tubes tipped with cut bait. Good luck!
[signature]
Haha, I hear ya'! Will report after the weekend. Gonna see if I can catch your fishes Daddy!