Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Lagoon Report
Capt. Rob Blake’s fishing report from Florida’s Mosquito Lagoon and Upper Indian River-updated January 15, 2002.<br><br>Brrrrrr! Would you believe that we have experienced temperatures in the 30s over the past week? I know it doesn’t sound like Florida, but it is true. Fortunately, the temperatures over the past few days have warmed to the 70s and beyond. When we get a string of warm sunny days between cold fronts, the reds and spotted seatrout come out in force. <br><br>Not only have the temperatures climbed, but also the wind at the end of last week fell to near zero for three days straight. Dream-like conditions for tailing redfish in the shallows.<br><br>Frank Polaner and son Augustus from Rome, Georgia experienced first hand what a flat full of tailing redfish looks like. Using ten-pound spinning gear, they sightcasted shrimp to tail after tail. In some cases, we were trying to figure out which fish was bigger by looking at the size of the tail. In slick calm conditions, your casting has to just about perfect. These guys got the job done by landing numerous (I lost count) fish in the 20-30” range. <br><br>Fly fisherman Ben Frederick from Key Largo, Florida also enjoyed slick, sunny conditions. Ben had over 50 good shots at reds in the shallows. Some were tailing, some cruising, but most just lazing around in the white sand potholes. Using a Sava Crab and DC Wiggler, Ben was able to coax 6 fish to inhale his handcrafted offering. <br><br>Water levels are fluctuating slightly, but are still very low…dangerously low in some interior areas. I would suspect it to remain low for some time, unless we get some fairly substantial rainfall. PLEASE do not run your boat in areas that are too shallow. Seagrasses in the Mosquito Lagoon are what keep our fishery alive and well, and scarring the grassflats with your prop does a significant amount of long term damage.<br><br>ATTENTION PAST CLIENTS: If you have emailed me your photos and don’t see them on my photos page for 2001, please check over the next week! My web guy will be updating the pictures and your pics should be on there! We caught some Giant trout at the beginning of December…wait until you see these photos!<br><br>Spring dates are starting to fill. Spring is normally the hottest time of the year to fish with giant schools of very hungry redfish. Book your date(s) early to get in on the action.<br><br>By the way, my boat (1999 Maverick Mirage HP) is for sale. Those of you that have fished with me know what a superb machine it is. Info and picture can be found at http://www.redfishonfly.com/The_Boat.htm Garage kept. Asking $19,000 or best offer. <br><br>Capt. Rob Blake<br>www.redfishonfly.com<br>1-866-RED-DRUM<br>321-633-0923 local<br>321-544-5041 cell<br><br><br>Contact Capt. Rob at 1-866-RED-DRUM <br>or 321-633-0923 or 321-544-5041 (cell).