Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not so hot at Flaming Gorge
Fished the Gorge with my old man Friday and today. Yesterday the temperature was not too bad, but it lightly snowed and rained almost all day. We were on the ice from 10 am to 10 pm, with only 4 pup lakers, two bows, and one burbot to show for it. We missed a few bites, and had a couple break off, but it was quite slow. Hit Lost Dog again this morning, only to find even slower fishing (who would have thought possible). In a couple hours we each got one bite. My dad couple a rainbow, and my fish decided to come off. We decided the action wasn't fast enough to stay any long, so we packed up about 11:30. Slowest fishing we have experienced in this area for a couple years, hopefully it was just an off weekend. The weather was great today, but not much happening as far as action.
The bows were very healthy 21-18", and the macks were your average pups 21-17". Burbot went about 19"
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report, its too bad the catching was so slow, ,were you fishing by the cliffs on the south side of Lost Dog? The only thing I can think of, is that LD has been hit hard this winter because of tha lack of ice down lake but who knows. At least you caught a few and were able to spend some time with you Dad. What do people usually say, Better luck next time[Wink].
[signature]
We were actually all over LD, from just off the parking area trying for bows, to out in the channel looking for macks. Your theory is about the same as mine. With very little ice on the lake, the hard deck fisherman are probably pressuring them pretty hard. That's why we tried to get out anywhere we were not seeing the swiss cheese affect. Anyways, it was still a fun trip. I wish we could have fished some areas I have done well for ling further south, but with the lack of ice it wasn't to be. So, we tried there and it was less than stellar to say the least.
[signature]
Prior to this last weekend I had fished Lost Dog the previous 2 weekends without much luck. Only 2 burbot total. They had one derby where they pulled out over 1000 burbot and I never heard the total for the other derby. I'm thinking it fished out for burbot for the most part.

This last weekend I fished down past Holmes Crossing and got 18 burbot from 5:15 pm to 7:00 pm. I think you just need to find new ice.
[signature]
There was ice down that far?
[signature]
Yeah, I fished about a mile south of Holmes Crossing. There was 4-5 inches in the bays and a thin 3 inches on the main lake and main lake shorelines. It warmed up during the day and there was some thawing along the shoreline. Hopefully, there will 5-6 on the main lake by this weekend.
[signature]
I was going to write a new report, but mine is so similar to yours, I'm just going to piggy back it.
Fished just south of the confluence friday and Saturday night. Two burbot each night and a few macs. Standard glow stuff with sucker.
we tried to go further south, but six dudes on new noisy 2.5" ice is a little too extreme for me.
[signature]