Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another great day on Bear Lake
It was so good yesterday that I thought I'd try again today. Well, it was actually better today. I quit counting after 17 fish landed. Both cutthroat and lakers. Everyone who was trolling was catching fish and lots of them. The jiggers were doing pretty good too, but trolling was faster. I was running about 1.6-1.8mph and at least 50' behind the ball. Most fish came in 70-80 feet, but many were also from 85-90. Access to the rockpile was good. There was some slush and chunks of ice in the morning, but later on it was open. Quite a few boats. Here are some pics. Nothing huge today, cutthroat were up to 3.5lbs and lakers up to 8lbs. Everything was released today. Had to "doctor" the photos. I can't give away all my secrets. All in all a great day..... fished 4 hrs, totally calm and not too cold!

One fat pup laker [inline DSCF4559.JPG]

Skinny laker (triploid...it had the double fin clip. Pelvic and adipose)[inline DSCF4560.JPG]
Its hard to take pics while fighting a fish
[inline DSCF4561.JPG]

[inline DSCF4562.JPG]

[inline DSCF4563.JPG]

[inline DSCF4564.JPG]
[signature]
Quote: Nothing huge today

I love it. Your smallest are bigger than my biggest! (ever!) Appreciate your reports - they make me want to get up there and fish Bear Lake! Sounds like the fish are feeling a bit of spring friskies already?!

So has the ice all blown away?
The cutthroat and lake trout in Bear Lake go on the feeding spree when the food is easily accessible. That is from about late Nov - Mar. In fact, this in when they put on most of their growth too. This is pretty much the exact opposite of most any trout water that I am aware of. The fishing should be great through March. I can't believe people will drive 2-3 hrs to Strawberry and Bear Lake is about the same distance. Yet you have a chance at both trophy lakers and cutthroats at Bear Lake. Oh, well, more for the few who fish the lake I guess.
[signature]