Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Stripers To Slimers Lake Powell
No grand slam, but we did four species..

We got on the water by 12:00 and fished around Warm spring, we went to one side canyon and found a few fish working the top..

We fished for them for about 20 min. before we (wife) that is hooked the first fish, we thought it was a striper but was we wrong..It was a trout, then another and another so we left the canyon to look for some better fish..

We got a few bass at last but no stripers on our first day..
Air temps. as only 60 and water at 53 the first day but oh what fun it was..

Saturday was a little cloudy at first light but no wind (and NO ICE), and the air temp at first light was a cold 43 and water at 50..[Wink]

We headed up lake about 20 to 30 miles and found the fish Big fat Stripers and LM an SM bass all was very good shape.. Not sure how many we got but we found only two baits that worked one on the bass and the other on the Stripers..

We got back to the launch at 4:20 and temps at 60, we cleaned the stripers.. The stripers was in the best shape I have seen sense 1984 all had a fat layer just under the skin and we brought 25 back..

The next day (Sunday) we new it was to rain so we stayed close, we got a few more bass but no Stripers..

It started to rain about 9:30 so we called it good and packed up and headed home, we should have stayed for the night, we had snow all the way after we pasted Kanab to SLC..

.[inline P2110025.JPG]
[signature]
Some pictures did not post I will try to post them again..

The one with the rock that looks like a head is called the Howdy-Dowdy rock..

.[inline P2110020.JPG]
[signature]
very nice there
[signature]
Looks like a fun trip. Wood ducks are always a cool sight too. I'm pretty jealous, I haven't caught a bass since Halloween of last year [Sad] Come on spring, hurry up and get to the north country!
[signature]
I've been itching to do some Bass fishing down South. Looks like you guys had a blast. Ever since I went to Sand Hollow last summer I have been putting together a plan to go back. I know its probly not the greatest fishing but it was the best bass day I have ever had. Thanks for sharing your trip pictures. Now I have to get my plans set in stone. It may not be Lake Powell but Sand Hollow will have to do.
[signature]
Wow I haven't heard of trout in Powell for over 20 years. Is Arizona stocking them again?
[signature]
Outstanding B-rods! I didn't know there were trout in Powell but then again I have never been there. The SS Powell eh? Great pic of the sunset BTW. Looks like this lake has made my "Life's list" to go to. Red Rocks and bass, does life get any better?
[signature]
I'm surprised by the trout as well. Where they all browns? Probable got washed downstream last year with the high flows from the rivers north of Powell such as Escalante that have trout. It's been many decades since they stocked rainbows in Powell.
Sounds like a great trip even if you had the indignity of catching trout. Hard to escape them in Utah.
[signature]
The picture of the biggest one (slimmer) was maybe around 25" to 30" by looking at it in the water before it got off..And no trout that I know of has been planted sense back in the 80's..
[signature]
Over the years I have only seen 6 trout caught in Powell, I got a bow two years ago and the ones my wife and I got or hooked on this trip.. All I looked at has had bigger teeth, more like a walleye then a trout..

All was browns but one bow this time they was from 16" to the biggest that got off at the net (guessed at 25" to 30") it did not fit in the net very good..

But we seen about 10 to 12 jumping..

One of the ones in the pictures was a hen..
[signature]
Powell is just too great to put in words, with every ten feet of water up or down makes a new lake...Every canyon is a wonder-est sight of it's own from one end to the other..
[signature]
It is spring at Powell..[Wink][sly]
[signature]
I know, I wish I could get down there. I need to save up my PTO at work for a trip to the boundary waters of Minnesota this summer though. I think it's a fair trade [Smile]
[signature]
[quote gstott]I know, I wish I could get down there. I need to save up my PTO at work for a trip to the boundary waters of Minnesota this summer though. I think it's a fair trade [Smile][/quote]
BWCA in summer- hopefully that will have warmed up to Spring weather by then[Wink].
[signature]
Ha, true. I'll put up with cold weather if I can get into some big smallies and pike.
[signature]
How much does a trip like that cost??

Do you fly back or drive??

How many are going??
[signature]
I'm not 100% sure on cost as I've never been before, but I don't think it's too bad. I'm lucky in that a good friend of mine lives in St. Paul and told me that if I could get a plane ticket out there he would take care of everything else. It's all camping in a wilderness area, so cost isn't too much. I think there's a fee for reserving a permit to go in. This year is the first year where they're doing first come, first serve on permits. It used to be a lottery system. Anyway, we got a permit for an area that only lets two parties in a day, so it should be far from crowded. We are probably going to each rent a solo canoe to give us greater mobility while fishing. I'm not sure how much that will cost, but really the permit fee, canoe rental, fishing license and flight are the only expenses. I bet it won't be more than $500-$600 for five days. If I can find a cheap flight it should be significantly less. I think I want to get a rod bazooka or something like it so I can bring several rods with me too, so that's another $60. I'm pretty excited for the trip, it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. My goal is to get a smallie over 18" and catch some decent pike on a fly rod. I'm feeling pretty optimistic.
[signature]
That sounds like a great trip, let us know all about it .. And take lots of pictures...
[signature]
Definitely. I'll be packing some extra memory cards and batteries [Smile]
[signature]