Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter boating
I am a new boat owner and I want to fish in the winter months. How do you keep from freezing up your motor? I have a 225 outboard. I heard all you have to do is put the motor in the down position to drain the water out. Is this true and is that all you have to do.
[signature]
Yes that is correct! Also, Make sure there is no water in the gear lube. Run gasoline stabilizer on every tank of gas and store it with a full tank.
[signature]
When you leave the lake, run the motor up and down a couple of times but don't leave it down on the way home[Wink].
[signature]
Thanks for the good information
[signature]
You can also give the motor a crank or two, but not start it, to spit out the remaining water that may be in the impellers after letting it drain in the down position. Some may say that it may damage the impeller, but I believe that there is still enough lubrication and wetness inside the impeller housing to not ruin the impeller when an outboard is cranked out of the water.
[signature]
I use to crank anti freeze in when ever I used my boat in the winter (use to frequent lake powell regularly all winter when I lived in price) I did this by using a small submursable pump (you can purchase at home depot for $40 to 60 bucks) Then rig it for a small lenght of garden hose then use it with your dog ear intake water port hose adapter. Crank enough to circulate with antifreeze.with the pump in a bucket of antifreeze. Reverse the process with water when you take it out so you can capture the antifreeze. It takes a little effert to set up. Butt once your set up it gives you a quick , cheap winterizing method (1/2 hour each time) I did this for several years with out any problems
[signature]