Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting fly-fishing
I am looking to start fly-fishing, what equipment would recommend I make sure I purchase?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]
First we need to know a few things. What type of fish are going to be going after? What types of water? Lakes, rivers, creeks?
[signature]
I'm looking to do lake and river fish and aiming to catch trout, I have had a look around and found this[url "http://www.arundellarmsshop.co.uk/complete-lakeriver-outfit.html"] fly-fishing starter kit[/url], what do you think? Or could you make other any other suggestions?
[signature]
Not a bad kit. Two things I would address, one being it is a 6 wt. Pretty stout for trout fishing. Are you talking BIG trout?
Seconf, the reel is a 4-6 which means 6 wt is at the top of the capacity. Not a bad thing, just means less backing which is also not a bad thing with trout, but i have had some take me into backing.

Tell us more about the fishing you will be targeting.

For others reading with recommendations, this kit is around $259.68
[signature]
Trout in general I lean to wards a 5 or a 4 wt but I also prefer light rods for their ability to flex more and I break less tippets with them. What lakes n rivers? You plan creeks much? A 6 is a little heavy for most trout fishing unless you plan to chuck n duck with large streamers.
[signature]
While I agree with you sis (almost as always.. :-) ) on the 6 being a bit heavy for trout alone.. but he is fishing lakes and streams... I know in my area the lakes have catfish, trout, bass, bluegill, and crappie... so maybe not a bad starter.. but maybe in a 5 instead??

MacFly
[signature]
The 6 could be fine. Here in Utah, I say a 5 would be all around Lake and River, but, Idaho, or even Montana, a 6 wt. Because as you say, Bass. Let alone bigger flies.
I remember fishing the Snake River with an 8 wt and landing 12" to 16" Trout....still fun, but following year, that 4 wt was much more fun.

He Mac. My father just moved to CA. Valencia?
[signature]
I find my sixes just a good all around rod here in socal.. but think a 5 could handle it just as well...

Im hoping to use one of the new 4 and go looking for some gills or crappies along the shoreline soon... those fish should give that rod a good workout (if I can get into them.. :-) )....

That is good news about your dad... overall nicer weather .. even with our rain of late... and that is north of LA... so not a bad area that I know of...

MacFly..
[signature]