Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZACHARY'S MONSTER BLUE CAT
My story starts out typical of any outing with young boys, my son and his friend went to another pond up on the hill while I fished the big pond by myself.<br>The boys had each caught two channel cats apeice when my son's friend Jake brought his proud catch down for me to see. He said he would have brought his first fish to me, but Zak had lost it back into the water before they could bring it down.<br>When I told the boys that I had caught and released two flatheads of about 5 pounds each, one that weighed about 2 pounds, and another that went about 1 1/2 pounds, they decided that they would fish "my" pond since it had bigger fish.<br>My next fish would turn out to be a blue cat that weighed 10 pounds on the scale at the building that sells bait. This was what the boys were waiting to see, a BIG fish. I explained to them that there were fish in this pond even bigger than that. The next thing I know, I am busy baiting up their hooks and showing them where to cast. After I baited hooks up and got them set, I again baited my own and tossed them back out.<br>I had caught my first four fish on a Berkely Reflex 8' rod with an AmbasSadeur 5501 on it with 15 pound Berkely Big Game line. The "big" fish was caught on a 9" foot Ugly Stick with a Mitchell 300 Excellence reel spooled with 6 pound Ande fishing line. I like this outfit because I fish liver on it with no weight, and no bobber. The fish seem to hit it when they get "line shy", and I wanted to use a light outfit for a better fight anyway.<br>The next fish caught was by Jacob, a nice 7 1/2 pound flathead. Jake was excited once again. After a few pictures, we released his prize and continued to fish. Zak had still not even had a bite on "my" pond yet, so he moved closer to Jake.<br>After about twenty minutes or so, Jake had another bite. This time the fight was a little tougher and the 10 pound test was being pulled from the Zebco 33 at a pretty good rate. Jake caught an 11 pound flathead. He was really excited at this time, and we took a few more pictures of his new and biggest ever fish. Zak was now feeling left out and gloomy, and he put his rod next to the truck and came to sit next to me, not wanting to fish any more he said. I felt bad for him. But not for long.<br>The light pole that I had baited up with a great big peice of liver suddenly bent double. I reached over and grabbed the rod and handed it to Zak, explaining to him that I "had a bite on my other rod". <br>I will remember the look on his face forever as he fought the huge fish, the line stripping off the reel a lot quicker than I thought was possible. He would lift up on the rod, then lower the rod and reel down. The line would scream off of the reel again. This battle took forever it seemed, even to me, and double that time for the two boys, one reeling and the other cheering him on. <br>Finally the brute came almost close enough to the bank to net, and that was when we got to see it for the first time. My heart jumped, Jake just stood there with his mouth wide open, and Zak was shouting, "Daddy, it's a monster, it's a monster".<br>I did not even get a chance to net it before it decided that it wasn't coming any closer to the bank, and it was off to the races once again.<br>Four more times it came to the bank, and four more times it rolled just out of netting reach. Zak was getting tired, but wasn't about to give in to this "monster" fish.<br>Finlly, after the fifth time he played the big fish back into the bank, Zak got the cat close enough for me to net. <br>I got soaked, the boys became histerical, and the big fish finally gave up the fight. <br>After several pictures of the big fish with Zak and Jake holding him in the net, we weighed it in at a whoppig 33 pounds ( Zaks Largest fish to date, and caught on 6 pound test line!!!), and let the guy who owns the lake take a few pictures of it. <br>Zak then helped me release his Monster back into the depths of "my" pond, and back into the depths of their imaginations.<br>This has been the best fishing trip I have had in a long time!!!<br><br>by MontyK3 : Wednesday 20 September, 2000 <br><br><br>Submit your Fishing Adventure Stories to win great prizes at ReMemory.Com